Friday 31 May 2013

I AM GOING ON HOLIDAY.

On Monday I am hoping on a plane with my family (minus my brother who is too old for these things now apparently) to Washington DC. After five days in Washington we are getting the bus to New York for a couple of days before flying home. I AM EXCITED (obviously). It's America. They have art galleries and museums. They have the best food. AND, best of all, I get to spend nearly two weeks with my family.

Now, I hate planes. I like to be on the ground with my feet firmly planted on something solid. The flight to Washington is around about eight hours long. Eight hours of jelly legs, sweaty palms and a racing heart. Good times. So to try and assuage the plane journey of impending doom, I am pre-planning my reading material which I will now share with you (I'm almost certain you want to know).


For starters I have the last two issues of the Literary Review which I have yet to read (I've been busy, alright). I am taking my kindle as my main source of words but I am also taking one paperback (the TBR is getting dangerously large and threatening to bury me). That paperback will be (drumroll please)...The Paris Wife by Paula McLain. We all know I'm loving Hemingway and the Fitzgerald's at the moment so this seemed perfectly fitting as a choice.


On my kindle I have quite the selection. I do like to have a fair bit of choice and my kindle is very well stocked (meaning I buy just as much for my kindle as I do physical books, I just don't admit to it).


The choices:


The Cleaner of Chartres by Sally Vickers **

At Least You're in Tuscany by Jennifer Criswell 
Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell **
Where D'You Go Bernadette by Marie Semple **
The Universe Verses Alex Woods by Gavin Extence **
The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald **
Petit Mort by Beatrice Hitchman
Y by Majorie Celona **
Swimming Home by Deborah Levy
Londoners: The Days and Nights of London as Told by Those Who Love It, Hate It, Live It, Long For It, Have Left It and Everything In Between by Craig Taylor
The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
Parade's End by Ford Madox Ford (yes, still reading this...)




** these are the ones I am likely to head to first.


So, I've quite the hefty pile (of electronic books...). Anyone fancy recommending one to read first? I suspect I'm being a bit ambitious in my hope to read as many, if not all, of the starred books as I can but I am nothing if not ambitious. Let's do this.


Things may be a bit quiet over here for the next couple of weeks (I can imagine you all heaving a huge sigh of relief) but I'll be back in full force from the middle of June. Don't miss me too much guys.


SHARE:

4 comments

  1. This sounds absolutely fabulous. I am not envious (much). I don't know yet if I hate planes or not because I never been in one (yes, there exist such people still :p), but I get to try it in a few weeks when we go to holiday in Prague. I have a suspicion though that it's not gonna become my new favourite activity...

    I haven't read much from your pile of books, only Bernadette and Gatsby, I think both are pretty good travel reads, and I think Eleanor and Park probably would be too.

    Have a very nice trip, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, holidays! Your trip sounds wonderful :)

    I used to hate normal plane flights but then in the Grand Canyon I went on this AWFUL, AWFUL flight (6 seater plane, no air con in 40C temps) and there was a thunderstorm and I may have thrown up multiple times. Since then, I am cool with normal flights. So if you get scared, sit back & think of me chucking my guts up! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Jumps up and down and screams with joy, "ELEANOR AND PARK!"*

    Ok, is my excitement enough to bump it up to first on the list? It's amaze-amaze-amazing.

    Have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vacation! I hope you have a blast! I'm with Andi, Eleanor & Park is fab. Bernadette was hilarious! Y is a great book, kind of a downer for holiday though ;) The 100 Year Old Man would be a great travel book too. Ack, take them all!

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig