Monday 25 March 2013

Musing Mondays

MusingMondays5



Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…
• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.


I have just bought myself... The Innocents by Francesca Segal and Honour by Elif Shafak

This morning I quit my job so this afternoon I went out and bought books. Stuff comfort eating, I'm all about comfort book-buying. To be fair, I did only spend £2 on these books, technically, because they were on buy-one-get-one-half-price and I had a gift voucher. So really I didn't actually go that crazy. I thought I was wonderfully restrained. Both of these books are on the longlist for the Women's Prize for Fiction and as I'm intending to read the list I thought I'd best get started. I'm very excited to read Honour particularly as I've heard really good things about it.
Also guys, I mentioned last week that I was doing a guest post for the Women's Lit Event over on Lost in Books. Well, it went live today here so if you fancy hearing me spread the lady love check it out.

SHARE:

11 comments

  1. Wait..quit your job? I would need a comfort read after that..



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, crazy day. Felt better just being in a bookshop though!

      Delete
  2. You quit your job? I second caite, I'd want some comfort reads too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! I've had some shody jobs in my time but nothing like this place. Lighthousekeeping by Jeanette Winterson is doing a pretty good job of comforting right now.

      Delete
  3. I had never heard of the Women's Prize for Fiction, but it looks like a great list to read through! Obviously I don't know the circumstances of you leaving your job, but I'm wishing you luck dealing with what might be a hard time for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really intrigued by so many books on the list that I just can't resist reading them. Thank you, I'm sure things will turn around soon :)

      Delete
  4. You are the second person in my reader this morning who has sought comfort in book buying.Diana @ Autobiography of an Anglophile called it bibliotherapy!

    I hope you will enjoy Honour - I'm halfway through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant! I will from now on prescribe bibliotherapy as a cure for unhappiness.

      Thank you, I hope you enjoy it too.

      Delete
  5. Hope everything's ok Ellie. I think book buying is an excellent comfort and treat at times of need. So glad you treated yourself. I look forward to your thoughts on Honour, it's been on my to be read pile a while. I keep wondering about The Innocents too actually. All best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is better now thanks Lindsay. It really did make me feel good to buy books and to sit down and read in peace for a bit. I'm very much looking forward to reading Honour. It may be one of the few books I read soon after buying.

      Delete
  6. Honor wasn't for me but I hope you enjoy it. I now have great justification for swapping out comfort eating for comfort book buying! Bibliotherapy even! Here's my MM: http://daystarz.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/musing-mondays-write-review/

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig