Sunday 31 March 2013

Goodbye March, Hello April

Well, March has been a bit of a crazy month (understatement, much?). I lost my job in the theatre at the end of February, started a waitressing job at the beginning of March which I then quit this week. So now I guess I'm unemployed again. Lovely. But I do have a writing job to be getting on with and I'm thinking with complete glee about all of the reading I can be doing. Basically, in the words of Monty Python, I am always looking on the bright side of life.

To the important things...books.

Considering how mental this month has been, I'm really pleased with the amount of reading I've managed. I've read three books for Modern March, a second Classics Spin book, a book club choice and a couple of other randoms. My favourite read has been A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf, followed closely by Lighthousekeeping by Jeanette Winterson. At the other end of the spectrum I completely disliked (read: hated) As I Lay Dying and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I am pleased to have read both, though.

I have already failed at the Translation Challenge (slaps wrist). I had intended to read The Bookseller of Kabul this month but just haven't got round to it. As I Lay Dying took quite a while to read (it was punctuated with many many stream of consciousness headaches). I'm not feeling too guilty because I did read two translated books in February. I'm still excited to read this one though and will get to it pretty sharpish in April.

Can I just take a moment to freak out about the fact that it's April already?! I mean, really, where the heck is this year going? Before I know it I'll be flat hunting and job hunting in London, then I'll be 23 and then it'll be Christmas again. Phew.

Anyway, April. I'm not planning too much what I read this month because I think some spontaneity would do me wonders right now. I'm definitely hoping to read The Bookseller of Kabul and maybe tick another off my Classics Club list (I'm leaning ever so slightly towards some Hemingway but Zelda Fitzgerald is pretty tempting too). Brighton Rock is my next book club read for the beginning of May so I'll get round to that at some point. I might also join in on the Their Eyes Were Watching God sync read with the Classics Club and I want to read something war related because that's the theme for April and we all know I get my nerd on when it comes to war writing. Oh my. So many books. I'm starting to think it's a good job I'm unemployed.

Fingers crossed April will be a slightly better month. I do have some really exciting things planned so I think it will be. I'm having a week staying with my sister in London at the end of the month and we've booked to go and see The Tempest at The Globe, World Book Night at the Southbank Centre and The Starting Line anniversary tour (squeal). The highlight of the week will no doubt be the Pompeii exhibition though. I am a MASSIVE Pompeii geek. Basically the entire week will be one nerdgasm after another.

Well, I'm boring myself so I'm going to crack on and spend some quality time with Fifty Shades of Feminism (the only Fifty Shades I'll ever read) which arrived in the post yesterday and is completely awesome and mindblowing and makes me want to burn my bra.


SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Hope you have a good April. I never quite manage to look on the bright side myself, so I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you do too :) It is pretty tricky at times but I always try to be a glass half full kind of gal.

      Delete
  2. Fifty Shades of Feminism?! Must. Have. This. I hope you'll be posting more about your thoughts on this soon? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to say... I've never much seen the point in burning bras, because IF YOU GET A BOOB IN THE EYE IT HURTS. I mean, probably. Maybe that's just a problem for the large breasted (me) among us though. That book does look AWESOME though. And WOAH your big old changes make me a bit giddy. I'd be curled up in a ball right now, so nice work for not doing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, as a small breasted woman, I don't think I will ever get a boob in the eye. However, I probably won't be burning my bra because I actually like the security of a good brassiere. In terms of the crazy changes - I'm always telling people to man-up so I thought I'd better follow my own advice!

      Delete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig