Monday 18 March 2013

Musing Mondays





MusingMondays5

Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…
• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.


Right now I'm reading...As I Lay Dying/Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

I must say I'm not enjoying either of my reads at the moment so I'm making pretty slow progress. Practically a snail's pace really. As I Lay Dying is the third Modern March read I'm attempting and I'm starting to realise why I'd left it on my shelf unread for so long. I feel like I've read so many stream of consciousness novels that I'm a bit fed up of the brain ache. I'm going to continue with it though, there must be a reason it's such a classic. I know I will at least feel a massive sense of achievement when I finish it.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is this month's read for a local book club I have just joined. I know so many people rave about this book but I'm just not feeling it. I love the format and layout, with single sentences on a page or photos, but I'm finding the narration just quite irritating. I'm looking forward to discussing it though and I will post a review after the meeting on Friday. I just hope I can finish it in time...

As much as I'm feeling a bit bummed out by my current reads I have just finished A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf which I absolutely ADORED. Oh, VW, you just hit all the right spots don't you? I'm having a bit of a girl power moment right now.

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Have you read anything else by Faulkner? I haven't read "As I Lay Dying" (yet, it's on my list though), but I read "The Sound and the Fury" in university and LOOVED it. After that I put Faulkner kind of on this high pedestal and hoping that after I read some of his other works, I don't need to kick him down from there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first thing I've read by Faulkner. Not really sure how I got through four years of English at uni and didn't read anything by him but there we go. I can see why people would think this book is good but I think I'm just struggling to get in to it. I think it deserves a good few hours concentration but goodness knows when I can give it that. Perhaps I'll try The Sound and the Fury next.

      Delete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig