Thursday 9 May 2013

Classics Club May Meme

This months meme question is: Tell us about the classic book(s) you’re reading this month. You can post about what you’re looking forward to reading in May, or post thoughts-in-progress on your current read(s).

I've just started to read Zelda Fitzgerald's Save Me the Waltz which I've been meaning to get to for a couple of months now. I've said a little bit about it in this post. When the sun graced us with its presence I sat out in the park near my work and read it over lunch which was amazing. It's so sunny and warm and it really helped me sink in to the American-warmth-sitting-on-porches-and-going-for-drives-with-soldiers atmosphere. It's hard going but I think I'm going to enjoy it. 


My book club are doing a bit of a trip to the local odeon this month to go and see The Great Gastby. I can only imagine how that is going to be. An entire group of book nerds descending on an unsuspecting cinema, chattering excitedly and ready to lay their claim on the film as an American Literary Classic to be admired as such. Considering the average member of the book club, I think it could be fun. Plus, it's Gatsby. Gatsby is also our next read, though it is a re-read for most of us, but the meeting isn't until the end of June so I may not read it until then and distract myself instead with another F. Scott Fitzgerald. Any recommendations between Tender is the Night and The Beautiful and the Damned?


I would like to read perhaps one other from my list seeing as I completely neglected it in April. I'm thinking perhaps A Doll's House but I don't want to tie myself to anything. I'm trying to be a bit more free-spirited with my reading this month. Yes, you heard me, I'm a free spirit this month. But, saying that, I'm planning on participating in the Bout of Books readathon so that could give me the opportunity to be both a free spirit and an organised reader. WE SHALL SEE.


I'm also STILL ticking on with Parade's End. It's so good just so long and I keep forgetting that I'm half way through it. Maybe I'll finish it this month but maybe I won't. It's no biggie either way.


SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Funny thing about Great Gatsby - I have read it, twice even. But both times in Estonian (I own a copy). So given that this is a book mainly praised over its language and such, I sometimes wonder, have I ever actually even read the book??

    But I have Tender is the Night also on bookshelf and I am hoping to get the better taste of Fitzgerald language through that.

    And yay for joining the readathon! (Is it next week yet? Is it next week yet? Insert annoying-child-in-the-back-seat-of-the-car mode :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really interesting thought. I wonder how much a translator can actually transfer the nuances of one language to another. I look forward to hearing how your other experiences of Fitzgerald compare. I'm so excited to read it again. I've studied it twice and had totally different reactions so I'm intrigued for this time.

      It's so exciting!! Not long, Riv, not long. Counting down the days...

      Delete
  2. I love Zelda Fitzgerald! Have you looked at her artwork? So lovely and dreamlike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I not she made artwork too?? I feel like a failure...*wanders off to go find some*

      Delete
  3. I like Zelda's art too which I only discovered as I read Z - also hope to find a copy of Save Me the Waltz somewhere.
    I've finished Book 1 of Parade's End and taking a breather before reading on - definitely a book to be read slowly.
    I'm really tempted by the read-a-thon but haven't decided yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look into her art and I'm really rather looking forward to reading Z. I stared at it in Waterstones yesterday for a good five minutes.

      A breather is definitely what you need with Parade's End. Although, perhaps not as a long as my breather...

      Do it! I hope you enjoy it if you do decide :)

      Delete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig