Monday 27 May 2013

Musing Mondays

MusingMondays5

Hosted by Should Be Reading


Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…
• Describe one of your reading habits.

• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!

• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!


I'm currently reading...Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

I started this at the end of bout of books but, again, life (and other books) got in the way. I hit the point yesterday when I no longer want to put it down so I'm sure I'll finish it in the next couple of days. It is so good. Atkinson strikes again! Although, I am getting my usual deep-thoughts headache with all the time/changing your history themes going on. Thankfully it is not so deep that it ruins my enjoyment. I'm loving the whole war aspect, particularly as it spans both wars and I think it is clever how Atkinson has weaved Ursula into the lives of Hilter and Eva Braun. I am hoping this one will win the Women's Prize for Fiction just because I have a literary girl crush on Kate Atkinson and have done since I was about 15. Go Kate Atkinson (yes, I'm fangirling).

Keeping with the Atkinson spirit, Case Histories is back on the BBC and is just as good as last time. Jason Isaacs (need I say more?!) is just as rugged and dark as you expect Jackson Brodie to be.

Happy bank holiday (for those in the UK)!

SHARE:

9 comments

  1. *joins in with the Atkinson fangirling*
    I haven't read NW or Hilary Mantel's one or that third one (which I totally can't remember now although I examined it in bookshop just yesterday), but I kinda hope that Life After Life wins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being an Atkinson fangirl.
      D'you know, I can't even remember what is on the shortlist. Is Bernadette? I thought it was. I don't even care though because Life After Life is just awesome it should definitely win. I should be a judge...

      Delete
    2. I've read this, Bernadette and Flight Behavior from shortlist. As much as I loved Bernadette, it was more like a "feel-good" book for me rather than something I want to give a huge literary award to, if that makes sense :) I have NW, I think I'll also buy May We Be Forgiven, but I'm so torn when it comes to Hilary Mantel... I stopped reading Wolf Hall at 25% and have had no urge to pick it up again. Maybe she's just not the author for me :(

      Delete
    3. You're speeding through that shortlist! I'm pretty much slacking. I think it sounds more feel-good than literary genius to me also. NW scares me to death so I will only read it if it wins. The same with Mantel actually. I know it's supposed to be amazing but it just doesn't appeal to me. That's the other one: May We Be Forgiven. I will read that I think, it looks interesting.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of those titles but happy reading and welcome back to musing...here is my MM: http://cynthia2729.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/musing-mondays-may-27/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this book but I have read the synopsis on Goodreads and it's intriguing

    my musing monday post:
    https://bookskeepmesane.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/musing-mondays-may-27-2013/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had Case Histories in my Nook for ages. Like, an embarrassingly long time. And I'm jonesing to read Life After Life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read it! Read both of them! I'm still about three quarters of the way through Life After Life and it just keeps getting better. So, yes, read it!

      Delete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig