Saturday 1 June 2013

I blinked...and missed May.

Ok, so, what happened to May? Anyone know? It was kind of there and then suddenly it wasn't. Ah the elusive month. In terms of life things May has been rather uneventful. I've been busy at my job, busy applying for jobs in London, busy seeing friends, family and the boy. In fact, I tell a lie. If I think about it May has just been one continuous stream of stuff. Job hunting and flat hunting in a city which is at least two hours away whilst I'm working a full-time job is not fun (to say the least). I am one big ball of stress. BUT, I've got a job and I have a flat (sort of) so things are slowly getting calmer.

In terms of blogging things, May has also been CRAZY. I participated in my first bout of books which was completely amazing. I found new blogs to follow, stalked my favourites  chatted to people on twitter and obviously read a little bit. It was such a fun experience and I will be joining in for the next one. Although I have still be slumping fractionally (whether it's actually a slump or if I'm just really busy and really tired, I'm not certain), I have finished a fair number of books including two from the Women's Prize Shortlist, two from my Classics Club list and one for the Translation Challenge. Looking back, it has been quite successful. I have read:


The Rime of the Modern Mariner by Nick Hayes
Yellow Tulips by James Fenton (poetry)
Save Me the Waltz by Zelda Fitzgerald
The Marlowe Papers by Ros Barbery
If I Close My Eyes Now by Edney Silvestre
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

I'm not going to plan my reading for June because, well, don't even get me started on June. If I thought May was hectic, June is going to be a whole other level of hectic. For starters I am going on holiday on Monday, although technically I am going on Sunday because we are staying at an airport hotel on Sunday night. The flight is hella early and we live a good three hours drive from Heathrow so, yeh, just no. BUT, the fact that we're going on Sunday is really quite awesome because it means my whole family will be together for a meal (that almost never happens). Anyway, holiday on Monday until the following Thursday, back to work for the Friday and then on the Saturday we are driving all the way from 'down South' to 'up North' to go to my cousins wedding. Excellent. Busy busy. 


AND THEN (this is the big thing that's going to make June a mental month)... I am home for two weeks to pack up all my worldly possessions, say farewell to my friends, adieu to my boyfriend, so long to my parents before moving up to London on July 1st (which is coincidentally my birthday and the deadline for the classics spin - special day). PHEW. I'm going to be, like, an actual adult. That two weeks is going to be EMOTIONAL. I'm having a leaving thing on the last Saturday of June and I can foresee hysterical laughter followed by hysterical crying, much inebriation, and general frivolity interspersed with many confessions of love. 

The weird translation.

I am excited for June but also so very apprehensive. I've never been one to cope well with drastic changes and moving to the capital is quite a biggie. I know I'll be a jittering, emotional wreck in the week running up to the big day but I'm just going to go with it. It's London. I love London. I'm comfortable in London. I'll be with my sister. I'll be with Imogen (the third in our little party). There are museums, art galleries and theatres galore. There are new running routes to explore, a new book club to join, new people to meet. It is a good thing.


I am reading Anna Karenina for the Classics Club Spin so I'm guessing this will be my main read for the month, though hopefully I'll find some time to squeeze in another book or two. We will see. I'm going to have a no pressure reading month.


I hope everyone else has had a lovely May and here's to June...


I'm going to leave you with a picture of my pooch. I think we should use it as a reminder that, no matter how bad things get, at least we don't have to wear the Cone of Shame.



She wears the Cone of Shame! And gets in the way of bed-making...
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. Aw, my cat was so depressed when he had to wear the cone of shame due to a cut on his leg. It was super gross too, when he went in the litter tray and then tried to cover up his mess, it would go all over the cone :(

    Moving to London is so exciting! I lived there as a student as I still miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Milly was not happy either. She kept getting stuck in doorways and she like to dig so, yes, very messy and gross.

      I bet it was a good place to live as a student! I'm very excited but it is a big step so I'm nervous too. I think it will be brilliant though.

      Delete
  2. Ok important things first - awww the dog! Why is she wearing the cone? Hopefully just the routine procedure and no serious sickness :) (It's quite a cute cone, though, I've seen much worse...)

    Sounds like you had a busy month and more business to follow :) Have a nice trip (how could it not be with all those awesome books you picked for it?) and I hope moving will sort itself out, there is always a little bit of hecticness in our way towards the bliss, which I think London just might be! Take it easy on the book department, the good thing about written word it still gonna be around once your life calms down a bit (although I feel a bit strange saying that seeing you just read Fahrenheit, thehehe :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is such a cutie! We had to get her spayed (poor thing) so it was only routine. She's right as rain again now. It is a particularly nice cone actually, although the pink does not match her personality at all!

      I think I'm more excited for the books I have to read than for the trip itself!

      I'm preparing myself for the worst to happen in the next month so hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised by everything going smoothly. Hopefully, anyway. I don't mind things being crazy (I'm very much used to it) as long as things are good at the end. But I agree, I think London might be that bliss. All the bookshops! :)

      After reading Fahrenheit I feel the need to read all the books even more just in case 'they' do decide that books are bad! That would be my idea of hell. Horrible!

      Delete
  3. WOW! You have so much going on, I'm impressed that you're reading at all! My mind would be mush and my reading would be in the toilet. Lots of exciting changes coming up -- try to enjoy it and not let it make you too crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will try! Reading is so good for some downtime and very helpful for getting my mind off all the fuss. I think my head would explode without a good book :)

      Delete
  4. So jealous you'll be living in London. I live in Utah, USA, which could very well be the most boring place on earth. And congrats on all the reading, pretty amazing you did so much with all the craziness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I think anywhere in America is more exciting than London! Swap? At the moment I'm surrounded by farmers so it will be nice to be in a city. Thanks :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness! You do have a lot going on! How exciting to be moving to London. To this American that sounds terribly romantic and adventurous :) I can see why your mind is spinning! I hope you'll be able to take a few moments each day and just breathe!

    Happy travels and best of luck with EVERYTHING on your plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about romantic! Maybe adventurous, though! It's just completely crazy but it is a good move I think. I'll see some life rather than just cows and sheep (yes, I live in the country). Reading comes in very handy for those few minutes when I need to breathe, it's the perfect way to relax and think about something else for a change.

      Thank you! :)

      Delete
  6. Duuuuude, London is near meeeee!! Just sayin' hehe. That is WELL exciting, but I am very much like you with the whole not-doing-so-well-with-big-changes thing, so I know that can be very ARGH-ish! But still, LONDON! I'm pretty sure it'll be awesome :)

    Even more exciting (not really, at all haha) is the fact that you get to read Anna Karenina for the first time. Just, oh that book. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude. Seriously, you're going to be near me. That's awesome. I will hunt you down and stalk you in person (I'm not nuts, fear not). But yeh, I think it will be awesome once I'm done with all the ARGH-ing.

      You and that book! I am receiving signals from you to read it and love it. Can't wait.

      Delete
  7. What a busy time! I hope that it all goes well for you. I lived and worked in London for several years and overall I enjoyed my time, and aspects of it I really loved. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lindsay! I know there are bits I won't like (travelling to work) but the museums will make up for that.

      Delete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig