Friday 14 June 2013

Holiday Reading Round-Up

Well there you have it, I'm back in England and it's raining. I should learn not to be surprised really, it is standard for the uk after all. Although, to contradict myself entirely, it is actually quite pleasant. I'm not one who goes in for heat, intact I tend to turn into a mumbling, muttering golem walking a few paces behind my family. I burn and I get heat rash so the sun practically has it out for me. But that is all beside the point, I am home and enjoying the British weather and now I'll get onto the interesting bit - books.

Considering this was never going to be a reading holiday, I am very pleased with the number of books I have finished. When my family 'do' a city we spend much of the time walking and the rest of the time eating. I adore museums, art galleries, historical points of interest and just nice buildings so we always find a lot to do. We did have a couple of wash-out days though when I squeezed in some reading and the jet lag meant we hit the sack earlier than usual giving me time to devour a few pages before I conked out on the pillow (snoring lightly and drooling steadily. What an image). I finished a total of four books and got three-quarters of the way through a fifth. Not bad going. Impressive, you could say, most impressive...(you know the rest and if you don't, well, I, frankly, am shocked and appalled).

Ignorance by Michele Roberts
Where D'You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple
Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
The Cleaner of Chartres by Salley Vickers

And I made significant progress with The Paris Wife by Paula McLain. 

I obviously have thoughts on all these books which will be following shortly. I have quite the backlog of reviews to write but I'll get there eventually. 

I think it's fair to say that she no longer be slumpin'.



My sister looking like a complete babe.

SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Yay, your reading slump is over!
    I don't like the heat either, I moan about the weather here all the time but I would hate to live somewhere actually hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased! Feels like it has been forever.

      I don't mind the odd day but no, I would hate to live somewhere hot. I can't get anything done.

      Delete
  2. Yayyy for ended slumps, successful vacations, and being back home!!! Can't wait to read your thoughts on the books you finished. Especially Where'd You Go, Bernadette? I keep holding off of that one because I didn't particularly enjoy (or finish) Semple's first book. But this one looks to be a vast improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay all round I think :) Thoughts will be coming soon, well, eventually.

      Do you know, I didn't realise this wasn't Semple's debut. I'll have to check it out from mere curiosity because if you didn't finish it, I'm not sure I'll want to read it.

      Delete
  3. Hahahaha, your sister looks awesome!

    Your family city holidays sound a lot like my family city holidays, only I don't think I've EVER finished 4 books on a holiday. I just can't do it, man! I am applauding your efforts in my brain though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a day when I felt like a very proud sister. Not many people can carry off a poncho.

      I would never have done it if it wasn't for the jet lag to be fair. Thanks for the brain applause. I'm bowing in my brain.

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a very successful vacation to me! Books and historical stuff..swoon! You got a ton of reading done, most impressive indeed! I can't wait to hear what you thought of Bernadette and E&P!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed rather successful. And so much fun.

      Thoughts will be coming soon :)

      Delete
  5. Welcome back, Ellie! I don't particularly enjoy hot weathers either, in fact, I often thought that the climate in England could be perfect for me (it can get too cold for my taste here in Finland, in winters :) )

    It's awesome you managed to read four books. I haven't finished a single one this month! Looking forward to your thoughts on Bernadette, E&P and Ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite fond on the English climate. We all moan about it but I think at least 60% of us would not change it. I can imagine Finland would be a tad chilly at times!

      You have been reading some beastly books though. Quality, not quantity is most important :)

      Delete
  6. Your holiday sounds awesome! Even with snoring and drooling sleeps!

    Can't wait to see what you think of all those books! Hooray for breaking your slump :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was totally awesome! To be honest, every time I sleep there is snoring and drooling so I just roll with it now (and try not to fall asleep on public transport).

      HOORAYYY!

      Delete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig