Thursday 4 December 2014

25 Days of Fitness



It's no secret that I'm a big fan of fitness. I love the gym, I love to run and I love to cook up healthy meals (though I like a bit too much chocolate at times, too). I work out because I enjoy it and because nothing beats the feeling of a post-workout shower or those endorphins buzzing around. But even though I know I'm going to love it when I'm sweating on the stepper or sprinting my last kilometre, actually getting out and doing it can feel like a chore sometimes. I think that is in part because of the way I think about exercise when I'm not doing it - that is, that it is a weight management tool and must be done or I will balloon up several dress sizes. It's easy to see how demotivating that mindset is.

On Monday, after finishing a very satisfying yoga session, I decided to set myself a challenge. I want to make exercise a part of my daily routine that I look forward to. I don't mean that I'm going to spend an hour plus in the gym or casually knock out a 10k run every evening because, really, that's a little much. Instead the goal is to carve out at least fifteen minutes a day to do some form of exercise - whether that's some yoga, a run, the gym, or even a home workout. That's do-able, right? I'm aiming to exercise every day up until and including Christmas day. That's 25 days in a row and sounds pretty menacing, but we're already on day 4 and I'm still feeling motivated so there is hope for me yet.

I currently work out between three and five times a week so, for the most part, it won't be a huge change, but it will make an enormous difference to my health and happiness. I tend to struggle with motivation when winter hits and I'm starting and finishing work in the dark. Walking home in the dark and then dragging myself back out again in the freezing, blustery weather is just as hard as you'd think and I often fall prey to the comfort of my hot water bottle instead. Now we're in the countdown to Christmas it will be even harder and the lure of mince pies and stollen is often just too great (she says whilst chowing down on a mince pie).

So far this week I've done yoga, an at-home ab blast, and a session at the gym which included a run to and from. The secret is to mix things up, so the plan for today is a run followed by a yoga cool-down. And then tomorrow, well, who knows! Keeping it fresh, y'know.

They say it takes 21 days to build a habit, so here's to building a new healthy habit that will do wonders for my wellbeing.

I think I'll be tracking my progress with numerous trainer shots over on Instagram (I'm ellielitnerd over there) - the accountability should keep me from wavering.

How about you, do you have any goals to move more?



SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Good luck! You're definitely right that looking at exercise only as a weight-management tool is very de-motivating. I've been on-again-off-again with exercise over the years after leaving school and no longer participating in team sports, but had gotten back into a regular routine a few months before I got pregnant and think a good part of the reason I felt so good early in my pregnancy was that I kept up with it (nothing excessive of course!) This is a time I am supposed to be gaining weight, so it is much easier to look at exercise as just part of a healthy routine that makes me feel good rather than having anything to do with weight.


    It definitely is harder in the winter months though and not being able to exercise outside most of the time. In good weather I really like to go for long walks with an audiobook at the park/trail near my house, but in the winter it's mostly swimming at an indoor pool or doing something at home like the exercise bike which is really not my favorite -- so I try to get to the pool more often. I've had a cold for the last week, so I took the week off and find I am missing my regular routine even though I know I need to rest. Some days are hard to get my butt moving, but not being able to for a bit is making me appreciate the days I can exercise all the more -- I can't wait to get back to the pool for some laps as soon as my head clears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration, Ellie! I have to start focusing on exercise more now that I've gotten my eating habits completely under control (three times a day meals from scratch - tiring and time consuming, but very much worth it). My biggest problem is always boredom. I just get bored when exercising, no matter if I listen to music or audiobook at the same time. I think it's some mental block. Hopefully I find a way out. But I wish you all the best for this 25 days (and all the other days too).

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig