Monday 29 December 2014

2014 in Review: Exhibitions


Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision @ National Portrait Gallery

Late Turner: Painting Set Free @ Tate Britain

Conflict, Time, Photography @ Tate Modern

Bond in Motion @ London Film Museum

Great War Portraits @ National Portrait Gallery

First World War Galleries @ Imperial War Museum

War, Art and Surgery @ Hunterian Museum

Museums and art galleries are, alongside theatre, another of the main attractions London has for me. I have been visiting museums and galleries my entire life (thanks, Mum and Dad) and have been lucky enough to visit them all over the world, though London's offerings are among some of the best - I promise I'm not biased! The fact that I live within walking distance of Tate Britain and the Imperial War Museum is a huge bonus.

My favourite haunts are the National Portrait Gallery and Tate Britain and I've spent many a weekend floating around their galleries. Tate Britain's 'Walk Through British Art' is amazing and arranged so that I can head straight to the 1910 room (my absolute favourite). Coming in at a very close third is the Imperial War Museum which reopened this year in time for the World War One Centenary. Their newly refurbished First World War Galleries are spectacular and strike the perfect balance between information and interaction. I have yet to visit the Truth and Memory exhibition there, but will be making it a priority in the New Year.

As you can tell, I'm quite the fan of cultural pursuits and I plan on including more of these on Lit Nerd in the New Year - let me know if that is something that will interest you!

How about you, have you been to any memorable exhibitions this year?


Don't forget to enter my giveaway or fill in my reader survey!
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Hmm. This year I think I only visited museums in summer when we were travelling in another town :/ They are reopening a modern art museum here in Helsinki in the beginning of 2015, so I want to go there. There is also Edvard Munch exhibition open in a smaller art museum until 1st of February, so have to take this into plan.

    I want to visit all the museums in London! (Wonder how long that would take...) You have to give me some tips for when I come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo yes, definitely the Munch! There was a Munch exhibition here a couple of years ago and I missed it and was totally gutted. Also, modern art is awesome.


    There are so many it would take you days and days I think. Although it would be amazing. I will give you tips and recommendations galore! :D

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig