Wednesday 3 December 2014

Winter Reading




Now it is starting to feel like we're in winter (finally) I thought it was about time to make some reading plans for the coming months. Reading and winter seem to go hand in hand - a good book, a cosy blanket and a hot cup of something is the ideal way to wile away an afternoon - so I take my planning very seriously at this time of year. Rich, dark, Victorian stories are always a good bet, as are books that you really just need to get your teeth into. I've got both sorts of my list for the next few months, with a bit of non-fiction and a contemporary horror story thrown in for good measure.

1. New Grub Street by George Gissing

2. Wilkie (anything, everything)

3. The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf

4. That Fateful Year by Mark Bostridge

5. Night Film by Marisha Pessl

What will you be reading this winter?

SHARE:

14 comments

  1. Lovely selection, I've been really intrigued by Night Film! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tradition that I read Persuasion between Christmas and New Year's. I'm already looking forward to it, even though I know it by heart. And I am planning to read Laura Ingalls Wilder with the kids. I hope they'll love her books as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Virginia Woolf although I haven't read that one yet! Maybe I will pick it up this winter too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winter is one of the best times for reading! With Night Film on my list as well, I agree it's a great one to tackle this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All you people are making me want to read Night Film too. And Virginia Woolf. And Wilkie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Fateful Year looks amazing... wonderful, because I really needed to add more books to my wishlist :/

    I keep picking up Night Film and putting it back down again. It looks like it's either going to be totally amazing or completely terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw a review of it when it came out (pretty early this year), and went out and bought it in hardback the next day because I just knew I had to read it. It's out now in paperback and I've still not picked up my copy :/ But yes, it looks brilliant!


    I think you're right there - I really hope it is the former.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Read them all! But start with Wilkie, naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It truly is! We shall have to compare notes when we read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always glad to hear there is a fellow Woolf lover here :) There is something about reading Woolf in winter that really appeals - I can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely tradition! That is my favourite Austen so I can only imagine what a treat it is to re-read. Enjoy that and reading with your children :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! I've decided I can't ignore the good reviews anymore :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo I have Night Film on my shelf at home. Isn't it kind of creepy? I may save it for fall and Halloween-time next year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In the same vein as Wilkie, I love reading Dickens in the winter. It's also fun to reread a favorite (last year it was Little Women) at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig