Sunday 25 January 2015

Things That Made Me Happy This Week #12






1// Crossing off the most difficult thing on my 25 Before 25 list This week I was offered a job and I gushed and shook with excitement and then finally made my jaw work enough to accept it. I'm still in the pinch-me-I'm-dreaming stage because I'd convinced myself that I'd messed the interview up big time. I found out on Tuesday and I don't think I've stopped smiling since.

2// Spectacles At the end of last week I went to the opticians and was told I need glasses for computer work - admin roles are killer for your health. I picked them up this week and, although I think I look odd, I really kinda like them. My mother said I look studious.

3// Cake and mint tea dates On Wednesday my sister and I met up with a friend to go for a celebratory dinner. We ended the evening in a lovely cafe in Soho with the biggest slice of coffee and walnut cake (seriously, it must have been as big as my head) and a pot of fresh mint tea. Much giggling and happiness ensued.

4// Non-fiction This week I've been reading Shell Shocked Britain and it's got me hooked. I spent the majority of my MA researching shell shock and since then it has become such an obsession (if I ever decided to try for a PhD I would definitely focus on shell shock/mental health in war). I'll be reviewing this one for Centenary News so I'll link to it here as I'm sure many of you would enjoy the book.

5// Beautiful winter mornings I leave my flat just before 7.30am, just when the sun is rising and the sky looks utterly stunning. I cut through a park on my way to the tube and I stop at the exact same spot to take a picture most mornings. The one above was taken on Friday and it truly doesn't do it justice.

What has made you happy this week?



SHARE:

15 comments

  1. Congratulations on the job! Very happy for you. And your glasses are fantastic! Uplifting to your face, and you could definitely pull off the stylish (naughty?) librarian look if you wanted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new job! I also recently got a great job in my field and got out of a horrible, super stressful job. I am still pinching myself :) It is amazing how much having a job you enjoy improves other areas of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I think we have the same glasses! I love them though, and looking studious can only be a good thing :)
    And yay for the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the job! That's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the new job! The same thing happened to me today, actually - they rang and offered me a job I desperately wanted, when I thought I'd messed it up at interview. I SHOULD be excited, but I'm actually just kind of numb...

    I like your glasses though. The style suits you :)

    I think she'll shock sounds really interesting - I wish I'd studied something so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all your glasses look great, really suit you! Second congratulations on your new job! And your MA topic, I imagine that would be a fascinating thing to research.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your glasses, they look so lovely. Congratulations on your new job! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you and thank you :D x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to you too! It's amazing how hard it is to tell how interviews go. I'd persuaded myself that I hadn't got it, right up until the person said 'we're happy to offer you the job'. I hope you feel less numb and more excited now! Will you be taking the job?


    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, snap! Oh yes, I quite enjoy wearing them for that reason ;)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you on both counts, Lindsay! It was completely fascinating and I regret not taking it further, but I'm glad I can still enjoy reading about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! I'm glad to hear that, Loralie. I'm hoping that things will start falling into place when I'm out of my current environment - I can only imagine how many things will change :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Andi! Your comment definitely made me snort into my morning coffee earlier this week. It wasn't a good look, but i'm sure the stylish/naughty librarian would be much better :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I took it on the spot, yes. I thought they were phoning to let me gently, but then they said 'We'd love to take you on board' and I was like '...huh?'

    I'm excited, but sort of nervous at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig