Saturday 24 January 2015

Reading Wish List #2

A week or so ago I happened to be in the vicinity of Waterstones Piccadilly. It was entirely unplanned and almost serendipitous. I jest, I arranged to meet my sister there purely for the opportunity to surround myself with literary cheer. Can you blame me? Although I am on quite a strict book-buying ban, I still do enjoy looking around and seeing what's what.

I noted a few titles that really tickled my fancy, which I'm sure I'll be picking up when my self-imposed book deprivation is lifted.

The Offering by Grace McLeen
Although I didn't get on with her second book, the memory of The Land of Decoration still makes me want to read everything McLeen releases.

If This Is a Woman by Sarah Helm
I can imagine a lot of people are thinking 'finally'. It's time to hear about the female experience in Ravensbruck camp.

Honeydew by Edith Pearlman
I've got the Dec/Jan issue of the Literary Review to thank for making me search this out.

Late Fragments by Kate Gross
I feel like this may shatter me, but it also sounds like the perfect book to realign my perspective and remind me to find happiness in the small things.

Five Children on the Western Front by Kate Saunders
I've seen nothing but good reviews about this sequel/tribute to E. Nesbit's Five Children and It.

Happiness by Design by Paul Dolan
Frequent readers of this blog will know that I'm a tad obsessed with happiness - how to get it, where to find it, how it makes you feel etc. The concept of this one sounds particularly interesting.

Have you read any of these? What's on your wish list?


SHARE:

6 comments

  1. My wish list is so out of control, but I see a couple here that could fit right into mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are always too many books on my wish list. And I would never blame anyone for wanting to buy, or buying, books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks! Have you read Bertrand Russell's The Conquest of Happiness? It's a really fantastic little book full of common sense from a great philosopher, and I always pick it up when I need a boost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I haven't - I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A growing wish list is an ongoing struggle for all book lovers :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine too, I just try to ignore it and hope it'll sort itself out!

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig