Saturday 2 May 2015

April in Books

April Books Lit Nerd

April Books Lit Nerd


Forever England: The Life of Rupert Brooke by Mike Read
The Dead Duke, His Secret Wife and the Missing Corpse by Piu Marie Eatwell
Dead Wake by Erik Larson
The Biter Bit and Other Stories by Wilkie Collins
A God in Every Stone by Kamila Shamsie

In April I feel like I finally got back up to my normal level of reading. After a slump that seems to have lasted most of the year so far, it feels pretty amazing to see six books read in a month. I almost snuck a seventh in there too, but I technically finished it in May and I'm a sucker for technicalities. I think the sun has been a big help and I know I'm not the only one making the most of these warm afternoons we've been having. I'm just hoping we'll get more of them - gimme those rays!

The Dead Duke was definitely my book of the month and a review will be following shortly. It's non-fiction and brings to life the Druce-Portland case of the late 1800s. Anyone sat near me on the tube whilst I was reading this was probably most perturbed by the girl sat chuckling away to herself. I've certainly been on a non-fiction mission this month and The Dead Duke is probably the reason for that. If you're after a book that'll restore your faith in non-fiction (as I was), then look no further.

Dead Wake left me sobbing and shaking my fists, Forever England was a disappointment, and A God in Every Stone only grabbed me after I'd already read about two-thirds and it didn't quite live up to expectations. I'm not sure I need to comment on the Wilkie short story collection as think you'll all know my feelings for Wilkie by now (yes, I loved the stories).

As far as my slump goes I think it's onwards and upwards now. I'm slowly slipping into a routine with work and my new hour long commute is certainly very conducive to reading (even when there is an armpit in my face). I'm looking forward to seeing what books May brings.

What did you read in April? What was your book of the month?




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig