Monday 1 April 2013

The Classics Spin: Result

So today is April 1st which means it's the end of the Classics Spin and time to own up to whether I completed the challenge or failed miserably.

#14 on my list was The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens and as this post attests, I finished this one well before the deadline. What can I say? I'm competitive. Because I love a good challenge and because I had another one of the potential spin reads on loan from the library, I decided to read a second book. This time The Lifted Veil by George Eliot (I did intend to read Brother Jacob too but that never happened).

I am pleased to have finished both of these short novels (very short, in the case of The Lifted Veil) and I'm very pleased that the Classics Spin gave me the kick I needed to get cracking on my Classics Club List (which, by the way, is slowly growing in length).

I will be posting a double-whammy review of the two spin books later this week. In the meantime, how did everyone else get on? I'm such a Curious George.

SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Haaaa, I kind of forgot about this. I mean, I say forgot, but I *tried* to read the book I chose, but got bored and decided to get rid of it instead... Still, I did like the concept, so I hope they do another one sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good effort! It is kind of hit and miss really whether you get a book that you really can't be bothered with. I hope they do another too.

      Delete
  2. I read The Magnificent Ambersons and enjoyed it - a pleasant surprise as I had it listed in the group 'American male authors I don't expect to like'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to be pleasantly surprised by a book. I find it brightens my day when I really enjoy a book I'd thought would actually be a bit blah.

      Delete
  3. I was really lucky and got the super-short The Old Man and the Sea, so I managed to finish it without too much trouble in the last few days of March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased to only get a short one too. That's a perfect choice though for Modern March - two in one!

      Delete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig