Monday 22 April 2013

Musing Mondays


MusingMondays5

Hosted by Should Be Reading


Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…
• Describe one of your reading habits.

• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
 
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!


I am currently trying to battle my way out of a crippling reading slump by reading...Maybe This Time by Alois Hotschnig


I found this Peirene Press book sandwiched between two chunky hardbacks in Foyles a few weeks ago and quickly snapped it up thinking it would be perfect for the Translation Challenge I'm taking part in. I dipped into it last night and I think it may also be the answer to my reading slump. It's a collection of short stories which itself is short (win win situation). It's creepy and full of the unheimlich (yes, I love Freud, what of it?). I read one story last night before I went to sleep and as much as nothing much happened in it, it definitely chilled me to the bone. I adore books like that. It's a bit like Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle in that respect because you get that feeling of foreboding and you know something is not quite right but you can't put your finger on it. I think it's a talented storyteller that can achieve that.


Fingers crossed that short and creepy will be the answer to my problems and I'll be back in the swing of things in the next few days. This whole reading slump is stressing me out big time. I need the books back in my life.


In other news...it's World Book Night tomorrow! I've treated myself, my sister and her friend to tickets to the event at the Southbank Centre in London. Needless to say I am beside myself with excitement. Books! Authors! More Books!


Happy Monday!


SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Crippling reading slump sounds painful!
    Personally short and creepy does it for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is painful but short and creepy seems to be doing the trick!

      Delete
  2. I totally understand about a reading slump. I was in one of those recently, all it takes is one good book to get you out of it though. And it just so happens I had two good books this weekend=)

    Here's my Monday Musing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so frustrating but then it does feel so good when you come out of it :) Two books is even better!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, sounds like a fabulous little book!

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2013/04/musing-mondays_22.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty fabulous. I'm going to have to look in to some more Peirene books.

      Delete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig