Saturday 18 January 2014

This Week in Books

I have had a very unintentionally bookish week. I've been reading a fair bit and buying even more. I had myself a lunchtime trip to Waterstones, a trip to Foyles today and a trip to my favourite, the South Bank Book Market. It has been a goodun. 

To the books! 


From Waterstones I bought How To Be a Heroine by Samantha Ellis and Careless People by Sarah Churchwell. Ellis's (feminist) reading memoir was reviewed in the December/January Literary Review (love that magazine). I started this straight away and I'm already more than half-way through. It is so brilliant. I also couldn't resist picking up Careless People (I have zero powers of self-control, as you can see). Since reading Z, which I reviewed yesterday, I've fallen into another little Jazz Age obsession and I've had this on my mind for some time. So, couldn't resist. Plus, it is a totally gorgeous book.

The Novel Cure (bibliotherapy at its best) and the two Lonely Planet Guides are from Foyles. I had a lovely day mooching around London with my sister today which included a trip to Foyles to pick up guides for our trip in May. Liv bought us a trip to Amsterdam for Christmas and we're planning on having a night in either Bruges or Brussels in the same week. I'm so excited to visit the newly renovated Rijksmuseum (it's the art nerd's time to rear it's head now). Any recommendations for things to do (and bookshops to visit) in either city would be much appreciated!

The final three books were brilliant finds from the Market. I always manage to grab at least one new Virago Modern Classics as they have such a good selection. I could go crazy on them but I'm extending the excitement by limiting myself to one each visit. Then I did break out into a slight jig when I spied the Beside the Sea by Veronique Olmi. Peirene books are wonderful and I've fancied reading this one in particular for a pretty long time.

I've given up trying to be careful about my book buying habits. I know one day I'll either run out of space or money but, whichever comes first, I'll still be happy knowing I am utterly surrounded by books. 

Anyone else been buying any books recently?

SHARE:

14 comments

  1. Only 3-4 this week, but at least 6 (maybe 8) last week.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Major book envy. They are so pretty - no matter how rational I try to be, I can't resist buying/ordering books... I think I have bought/received 5 in total in January so far. This week I got only one book - but it's War and Peace, so using that and "only" in the same sentence feels a bit blasphemious... There's also a collection of short stories by Haruki Murakami somewhere on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think War and Peace counts as at least 2 books! It's been a while since I've read Murakami. I think I'm starting to feel like delving into his writing again. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I bought The Novel Cure this week, too! I'm jealous that you can easily shop at Foyles. It's my favourite bookstore (the Charing Cross Road location), but given I live in Canada I obviously don't get there very often LOL.

    Have you visited Bruges before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been flicking through it in bookshops ever since it came out but managed to resist until the weekend. I think I did well! Foyles is easily my favourite. I work about 15mins away from the Charing Cross branch so I have a daily struggle to not wander up there on my lunch break.

      I've not been to Bruges before, no. I'm really looking forward to it, I hear it is beautiful!

      Delete
    2. I used to work near New Oxford Street and spent far too much time (and money) in the branch of Forbidden Planet there at the time. FAR too many bookshops in that area!

      Delete
  4. I need How to be a Heroine in my life!
    I've been good and have bought no books at all in January, I'm even starting to get over the urge to buy them - until I finally crack, that is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone needs How to be a Heroine in their lives! It is such a brilliant book (stayed up late to finish it last night).
      I'm impressed - stay strong :D

      Delete
  5. I do love the feeling of being surrounded by books! I've been eyeing A Novel Cure, but think I will check my library for it -- would love to hear how you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved everything I've read from it so far. It's one of those books I think I will always turn to for new recommendations. Although it will make me want to buy even more books :)

      Delete
  6. That is a very bookish week! I've only bought ebooks this week, but I have two Penguin edition Sherlock Holmes novels on the way from BookDepository. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always forget that I've bought ebooks, that's the danger of it. Penguin edition Sherlock Holmes novels are the bestest!

      Delete
  7. I really fancy How to be a Heroine, glad you're enjoying it! Lovely to see your book purchases. I'm trying not to buy too many at the moment - though I did buy The Luminaries last week. It's too long since I've been to that market, must head back there one day when I'm in London. I love Foyles, hope to pop there over the next week.

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig