Wednesday 31 July 2013

Thank goodness it's over: July

What. A. Month. I'm not going to lie chaps, it's been crazy and I'm ever so glad it's over. I'm not terribly good at dealing with change and this month I started a new job and moved 200 miles up country, to the capital city no less. It has been a month of biggies. 

In all the excitement I have neglected the blog somewhat. Much to my distress. But I'm back, more enthusiastic than ever (watch out) and ready to get back into a routine of reading and writing. I may have neglected you guys (a slap on the wrist is thoroughly deserved) but I have not neglected my books. Oh no, my books and I are getting along swimmingly. I suddenly have more time than ever to read. That obviously goes hand in hand with the fact that I have no life as yet in London. So to fight off the loneliness I have been immersing myself in my ambition to read ALL THE BOOKS. I may not have managed to read ALL THE BOOKS this month but I think I've made a recognisable and commendable effort. Particularly considering I finished the stonker that is AK. An achievement? I think so.


42. Running Like a Girl by Alexandra Heminsley

43. The Colour of Milk by Nell Leyshon
44. War Horse by Michael Morpurgo
45. The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
46. Strange Meeting by Susan Hill
47. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (Classics Club and Translation Challenge double whammy)
48. The Pre-War House by Alison Moore


My total for the year so far is up to 48. I have no idea if that's a good or bad year because I've never kept track before but I think it's a healthy number. I am pleased.


This month I set myself the challenge of reading more non-fiction. I have read 1.5 non-fiction books so far although, in typical Lit Nerd fashion, neither of them are on my list of to-reads for the challenge. Both are memoirs, one about running and the other about books (The Yellow Lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee). Obviously not hard to see where my loyalties lie. I do think that both of these reads have set me on the path to non-fiction enlightenment. Here's to another few thoroughly enjoyable non-fiction fuelled months.


I'm excited for August. In terms of life things (getting more settled in London) and reading things. I'm joining in on Adam's Austen in August event for which I'll be reading Sense and Sensibility. I do think summer is the best time for a bit of Austen lovin'. There is also Bout of Books 8.0 coming up at the end of the month which I am definitely going to sign up for after the awesome time I had earlier this year.


This month I have been to see War Horse (you'll be pleased to know I held my emotions together. Just), a play about the suffragettes called Oxygen, and stumbled into a comedy club to find Jack Whitehall was headlining. I've found a local independent bookshop I will be making my home. I have adjusted to a long distance relationship. I have missed my friends and family. I have tried new restaurants and attempted some home cooking. I have visited the South Bank Book Market more times than is healthy. I have attempted to train for the half marathon in this heat. I have failed in that attempt. I have trialled one gym and joined another. I have started to get used to my own company again. I have turned 23. I have surprised people. And myself. I have explored my area. I have been scared of my area. I have been reading and I have been writing. August: let's be having you.



Sunset from my balcony

Yes, I live with a chef

Sunny days on the South Bank

Moving day

My bookshelf on moving day...now considerably more populated

I hope everyone has had a fantastic July!



SHARE:

10 comments

  1. What a month indeed! You are on such an adventure, I think it's great :)

    Kudos on reading nonfic! It's my favorite :) If you ever need a million recommendations let me know, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's great too :) very much enjoying it!

      I will totally take you up on that one day!

      Delete
  2. Exciting! Hope August will treat you nice :) Love seeing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely bookshelf :)
    Sounds like you've had a great month, very busy too! :D
    Good luck for August, I hope its a great month for you.

    Lauren @ Northern Plunder
    I did a July Wrap Up too, if you're interested

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      Busy is good I think! Thank you, I hope it's a great month for you too. Lots of sun and lots of reading.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to be somewhere where I could wander in and be like, "oooh, famous person on stage!" Sadly that has never happened here, ever. Oh well... Hope you enjoy(ed) the Lewis Buzbee - I read it a long time ago but I get a warm 'n' fuzzy feeling when I think about it so I'm assuming it was a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so cool. And he was really funny. Which kinda made up for the fact that is was a basement comedy club on one of the hottest days of the year and I was covered in mine and everyone else's sweat. Sexy. Books about books are always good :)

      Delete
  5. I'm not the biggest fan of change either, so I think you've done awesomely :) And living with a chef too, I'm jealous!
    I'm feeling like August is definitely going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty brilliant living with a chef...when she isn't working at least!
      I think it will be too, for everyone :)

      Delete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig