Wednesday 3 July 2013

Mini Reviews: Bernadette and Hadley

Where D'You Go Bernadette? by Maria Semple
'A little social anxiety never hurt anyone, am I right?'

I suppose you are all wondering why I'm only writing a mini review on Bernadette considering I've gone on and on AND ON about it for months now. The answer is simple: it is so awesome that all words dry up in my head when I'm faced with its awesomeness.

It is funny (hilarious, even), poignant, life-affirming and thoroughly entertaining. The voices of each character are crafted brilliantly. I am particularly fond of Audrey Griffin, not because I like her as a person but because I think her character is just brilliant. Her antics in the hotel had me chuckling away somewhat uncontrollably. I loved that it is character based rather than overly descriptive and flowery. I think the epistolary format has something to do with that and that is one of the main reasons I love the epistolary style.

I have no doubt that this will be on my top ten for the year. Basically, read it because you will not regret it.

'Hello, can I help you with something? If not, please step aside because I am about to kick the shit out of life.'
The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
Going from one extreme to another - I did not enjoy The Paris Wife. Well, tell a lie, I enjoyed it for the first half but then I just started to get a little bored. I was entertained but I think my biggest issue with it (which to be fair is not really a negative) is that it was all just a bit too familiar. I've read A Moveable Feast and The Sun Also Rises and you can practically see McLain's research from these texts waving at you from the page. It was interesting and the writing was occasionally really wonderful but just not for me. I am still intrigued by the relationship between Hemingway and Hadley but I think I may read about it in non-fiction rather than fiction in future.
I think I was just so excited to read it that I had hyped it up in my head. I was bound to be disappointed. You win some, you lose some I guess.

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. "it is so awesome that all words dry up in my head when I'm faced with its awesomeness."

    YES! Ohhh I looooved this book!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literally, I have no words. And that does not happen very often.

      Delete
  2. Gah! I'm so torn about reading Bernadette. I didn't like her first book, and it's left me feeling "meh." But any book that makes the words in one's head dry up, has to be good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Particularly when it's words in my head. I don't very often get lost for words!

      Delete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig