Saturday 20 July 2013

Review: Eleanor and Park

Eleanor and Park
Rainbow Rowell
2013
I must say I have held off on writing this review because I am SLIGHTLY worried that I will have book bloggers (complete with torches and pitchforks) chasing me down the street when my thoughts are revealed. I feel like I am the only one who did not enjoy this book (seriously, is there anyone else?). BUT, and this is the biggest of buts (like mine *snigger*), I think any issues I had with this book can be put down to my own failings as a reader and my general book snobbishness. Yes, I will put my hand up and own to it: I am a book snob. In general I just do not enjoy YA, chick lit, new adult etc etc. I actually find it difficult to read, not from complexity, I think I just can't connect with the writing. I am strange, get over it.

I will fully admit that I completely fell prey to peer pressure and the excitement and hype in choosing this book. Some of my favourite bloggers raved about this so I thought, why not, let's have a crack at it. Also, there was a little something to do with the fact that the protagonist is called Eleanor and that is totally my name. 


I liked the concept, it was readable and it was slightly different (but still cliche in my opinion). I obviously loved the sci-fi/Star Wars references - that will get me every time. Although there is one bit where Park says 'You can be Han Solo...and I'll be Boba Fett. I'll cross the sky for you' and I did think that isn't all that romantic since Boba Fett is a bounty hunter and all and totally tries to capture Han and deliver him to certain death in the arms (or slug bits) of Jabba. I would not be happy if my boyfriend said that to me. 


I liked the split narrative and I liked how Park is constantly influenced by the people around him and how those people view him and his attitude towards the way people view him. I thought that was very real. 


There was the odd sentence that I read and was like 'yes, that is a corker'. Like this bit:


'She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice, it was supposed to make you feel something.'


I actually don't know why I didn't like Eleanor and Park. It is hard to pinpoint any particular reason. I just know I was semi-bored whilst reading it and disappointed when I finished it. Perhaps the genre just isn't for me. Please don't chase me with pitchforks!


SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Don't worry, I won't bring out my pitchfork!
    I loved this book but I think it's because I met my husband & we fell in love when we were the same age as Eleanor and Park - so it had the nostalgia factor for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew! I really can see why people loved it. That nostalgia factor must be amazing :)

      Delete
  2. I won't bring a pitchfork either. Frankly I think I'm having the same problem as you (the genre). I've also been tempted to pick up a Rainbow Rowell novel because of the hype, but I'm like 95% sure my experience would be about the same as yours, so I haven't. So far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I just need to accept that I don't find the genre all that interesting or readable and stop trying to find it so. Not every genre is for everyone.

      Delete
  3. Lighting my torch and sharpening my pitchfork tines!

    Ha ha, just kidding my dear Ellie :D

    Editing: I'm on a mission to inform bloggers when they are using Captcha. Perhaps you don't even KNOW that you have it turned on. Don't be offended. My new goal in life is to wipe Captcha off the face of the earth. Thank you for your attention. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, no worries. Different strokes for different folks. I'm usually not a fan of these books, but I did like this one and look forward to Rainbow Rowell. HOWEVER, I'm currently reading one of the most buzzed-about books ever, Life After Life, and I'm seriously iffy. There's been a lot of eye rolling. The hype monster strikes again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can see why people love it but it's just not for me. Whereas I loved Life After Life...different people I guess. That's why hype is so dangerous, we aren't all clones :)

      Delete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig