Saturday 13 July 2013

Review: Running Like a Girl




Running Like a Girl
Alexandra Heminsley
2013

'Every time I looked down to check I was confronted with the expanse of my thigh looming towards me'

Being quite the enthusiastic runner myself I was really quite excited to read this. Last year I read Murakami's 'What I Talk About When I Talk About Running' which completely merged my two favourites: reading and running. Since then I've always been on the lookout for similar memoir-type-things and I think I found a winner in this one. I can't say it is completely without fault, but any problems with it are only my own little issues and not actually important (mostly, I am a book snob).


So. Running Like a Girl. One thing I will completely praise about this book is its ability to ignite (or re-ignite) an enthusiasm for running as you read it. Every time I picked it up I felt like whacking my trainers straight on and heading out to pound the pavements. Which I did, by the way, but in horrendous heat so my enthusiasm quickly died or rather, melted away. I ran my first half marathon last year, my second in April and will be doing my third in September and I consider myself to be 'a runner'. I have been running since I was about 14 and even though to start with I disliked it (with a passion), something clicked in my second year of uni and I began running everyday. Initially for weight loss purposes but then as I realised the distances I could run it became more a way of challenging myself and proving to myself that I could do something. Something which she puts into words very well:



'The secret that all runners keep is that they don't do it for their bodies, but for their minds.'

The book is split into two parts. The first is Heminsley talking about her running journey and how she came to be a marathon runner. The second is more practical and includes some very interesting history on women in running and some less interesting advice and such on injuries, buying running kit etc. I found this less interesting because it seemed aimed at newer runners but it is a quirky and useful little addition to an entertaining book. The best bit of the second part is the history. Being a history lover, particularly when it comes to the ol' females, I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the obstacles that were placed in the way of women who wanted to run. Seriously, guys back then had the WEIRDEST ideas. For example, did you know that distance running could cause the uterus to fall out? No, me either...It never actually occurred to me that there would have been a time when women were not allowed to compete but it was not until 1972 that the Boston Marathon accepted women runners. 


I loved reading about Heminsley's journey. She does not hold back and really speaks the truth about the ups and downs of running (including some very amusing and oh so truthful anecdotes about underwear situations...I've had a few of those). She highlights the hardships of long-distance as well as demonstrating how much you can get out of it...be it weight loss, a sense of achievement or just an improved outlook on life.


I would recommend this to runners and non-runners alike. It is moving (seriously, I had to try and control myself on the tube more than once), funny, informative and most of all, honest (which I love). HOWEVER, I am (as yet) still adamant that I will never run a full marathon. It's the only thing I intend to do by half.


Insert shameless plug: I mention further up that I am doing another half in September (the 8th, to be precise). This one will be different though because it is in London and I am a charity runner. I applied for a place as a runner for Leukaemia and Lymphoma research and was accepted (WOOHOO). It is awesome and scary and I will probably tear up as I cross the finish but it will be SO WORTH IT. Anyway, if anyone fancies maybe supporting me, I have put a link to my justgiving in the side bar. End shameless plug.





Copy received via NetGalley

SHARE:

11 comments

  1. See, that's why I don't run! I want to keep my uterus! Hahahahaha, no but really I do want to start running so I enjoy things where people go 'Running! It's awesome!' and I should probably read this book for those same reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running is awesome and so far I think my uterus is still holding up in there (at least I think it is). This book will make you want to run but it doesn't hold back when it comes to the bad things about running. Which I think is good because it doesn't lure people into a false sense of security.

      Delete
  2. How I envy you runner-people. I always thought if I love Murakami but am not a runner, would I like his book about running? Maybe it would actually inspire me to run (like this post did a bit).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would still like it. It's so much more about running although his passion for it really is contagious! Just like the passion in this one. So pleased to inspire you to run, even if only a bit!

      Delete
  3. I envy you runners as well. I've given it a try but it doesn't seem to work for me. Probably because a monster isn't chasing me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be much easier to run if a monster was chasing me!

      Delete
  4. I'm a runner, too! And I love it. Oh, how I love it! I've been running since I was fourteen and having just turned eighteen last month, I can finally run a real marathon (which you can't if you're underage in Germany...I think). I have never heard of this book, but I'll make sure to put it on my Wishlist - I mean, how could I not? ;D Good luck with your half in September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Hello fellow runner! I did not know there was age restrictions although it does make sense I suppose. I hope you enjoy it if you get around to it. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  5. Consider your plug successful... And consider your review successful too, I've been compelled to add this book to my wish/library list even though I'm officially allergic to running. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was allergic to running once and look at me now! Foolishly running half marathons. Thank you so much for the donation, you are a lovely person :D

      Delete
  6. I think I need to read this to rekindle my running love.
    It broke my heart though.
    And my legs.
    Lycra <3

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig