Monday 25 January 2016

On the Stack


I decided at 6am this morning, when I couldn't think of what to post today, that it's time to start a new series on the blog. Aside from a little mention here and there in my 'Things That Made Me Happy' posts I don't often talk about what I'm currently reading or the books on my stack. I thought it would be nice to check in every couple of weeks with a little round up of what I'm reading and what's coming up next - let me know in the comments if you'd find that interesting.

At the end of last week I started the much anticipated sequel to Kate Atkinson's Life After Life, A God in Ruins. It's been slow going so far purely because I've not had more than ten minutes to properly sit down and dive in, but I can tell I'm going to really enjoy it. I'm a big fan of how Atkinson plays with time and I love it when she reveals details from the future through interjections. I find that she is quite present as an author and it works really well here.

Next up is a non-fiction pick that I treated myself to after Christmas. First Bite by Bee Wilson is all about food habits and how they have been shaped by our culture, families, gender etc. I have a pretty unhealthy relationship with food so I'm looking forward to reading this and hopefully re-learning more positive habits. After buying this I realised that my sister has another of Wilson's books in her TBR pile (Consider the Fork), so I suspect I'll give that a go too if First Bite is a good read.

I'll be heading back to WW1 after my brief foray into food writing. Fear is a novel/memoir written from the French perspective and published in 1930. It came as part of a wave of such books in the 30s as many still struggled to come to terms with their war experience. I don't think this one is going to be an easy read by any stretch as the words that crop up in most reviews are brutal, visceral, and honest. There are a number of these novel/memoirs that I'm hoping to get to this year, including Under Fire and A Storm of Steel, and I think Fear is as good a place to start as any.

What's on your stack?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig