Friday 30 May 2014

May in Books


Guys, it's the end of May. In approximately one month (1st July) I will have been in London for a whole year. JEEZ LOUISE. I'm definitely not planning a massive party to celebrate (totally am). Anyway, enough of future times, I'm here to talk about my May reading.


May has been a funny month. I've been super busy on the one hand, but then I've had more reading time than usual because I've actually let myself relax. A few things have suffered because of it, but I was about reaching crazy point so I think it was for the best. 


The Goals...





  • Knock a book or two off my kindle to read pile
  • Keep up with the non-fiction reading
  • Start re-reading The Diary of Anne Frank (it only seems right if I'm going to Amsterdam)

  • With all that extra reading time I've done semi-ok with the goals I set for myself at the end of April. I've crossed off the non-fiction goal even though I haven't technically kept up with it. I started reading Faulks on Fiction but have been distracted by all the other goodies. I can tell it's going to be a winner so I'll be cracking on with that again. Only one book I read was from my Kindle tbr (The Goldfinch) but three other reads were from my physical tbr so it's swings and roundabouts really.


    The Books...

    28. Bhalla Strand by Sarah Maine
    29. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
    30. Stoner by John Williams
    31. Sally Heathcote: Suffragette by Mary and Bryan Talbot and Kate Charlesworth
    32. Her Privates We by Frederic Manning
    33. Battle Hymns by Cara Langston
    34. Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf

    I'm so pleased with my reading this month. I have been completely blown away by the quality of books I've been reading - Stoner and Sally Heathcote stick out - including two really brilliant debuts. Aside from my disappointment with The Goldfinch, which I still can't really call a disappointment, I have basically wanted to eat up every book on this list. I'd also just like to draw your attention to the variety here: we have a book from my Spring Reading list, a Classics Club choice, a graphic novel and a book from my War Novels project. You can't see but I'm doing a victory jig right now.

    Book of the month: this honour goes to Stoner by John Williams. Congrats John!

    I had a look at my 2014 in Books page today and realised that I've consistently read 7 books a month since about March. I know that's only really three months but, surely, two is a coincidence and three is a pattern? No? WOW. If that's all I have to talk about then someone please get me a life.



    How was your May? Read any good books?

    SHARE:

    14 comments

    1. You've been in London for almost a year already? That's gone so quickly!
      And extra reading/relaxing time is always a good thing :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I know, it crazy how fast it's gone! Oh yes, I've thoroughly enjoyed it :)

        Delete
    2. I love the variety! That's kind of what I try to do as well, but it works better some months than others :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Some months I read nothing but the same kind of fiction so it has been really good to explore a bit more.

        Delete
    3. I've been thinking about re-reading the Diary of Anne Frank. I haven't read it since grade school (we read it more than once in school). I might wait a few years, when my twins will be reading it.

      May went by so fast!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I will get around to do it. I haven't read it since school either and I remember being really impressed by it. Enjoy it when you do get around to it!

        Delete
    4. I can't believe May is over already. You have every reason to be happy with your reading this month. Seven books is great, and it's always great if there's variety and the books are good. I hope you can keep your pattern going...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's getting a little scary how fast things are moving. I hope I can keep it going too!

        Delete
    5. My reading (quality and quantity) have really picked up in May, so I'm glad you're having the same bookish good time! Cheers to being in London for a year!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. May has been a good month all round I think.

        Delete
    6. Oh wow, look at that. Great month - and I'm also always very happy if I manage a diverse reading month! I read only four books in month, but at least they were from different genres as well :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Diversity is almost better than quantity sometimes. It's really good to get a nice range of books.

        Delete
    7. I saw Stoner in Tesco yesterday and thought of you... but all three copies on the shelf were weirdly bent, so it'll have to wait a tiny bit longer. I did look though, and if there'd been a decent un-skewed copy I'd totally have bought it! Congratulations?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Nobody wants a weirdly bent book! Even if it is Stoner which is totally amazing. It feels good to know that you want to read a book I've recommended - my goal is achieved!

        Delete

    © Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
    Blogger Templates by pipdig