Sunday 11 May 2014

The Classics Spin #6: Edit


EDIT: And the winner is...A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen. I've wanted to read this for ages but put it in the 'significantly unenthused' category because I'm not sure serious women's issues is what I'm feeling right now. But, having said that, I can never refuse some lady-lovin and the opportunity to get my feminist hat on. Ibsen's Hedda Gabler is one of my favourite plays ever (non-Shakespeare), so actually I'm thinking I may enjoy this one. Here's hoping! Did you get lucky?

Did you really think I wouldn't spin?! Bit late in making my list but I couldn't resist joining in after having four out of five successful spins. Will this one be a winner too? 


If you don't know the drill, the Classics Club explain it here. Basically, you choose twenty books from your classics list and post it on your blog. On a set day the amazing club leaders will pick a number and you have to read the corresponding book by a set date. Easy? Easy.


I'm sticking with the same categories as before with the same reverse numbering system because it certainly worked a treat last time...


Unabashedly Over-Enthused

20. The Diary of Anne Frank
19. Story of an African Farm by Olive Schreiner
18. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
17. Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf
16. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Controllably Enthused
15. Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon
14. The Beautiful and the Damned by F Scott Fitzgerald
13. Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
12. The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury
11. Parade's End by Ford Madox Ford

Enthused

10. The Common Reader by Virginia Woolf
9. The Crowded Street by Winifred Holtby
8. The Death of the Heart by Elizabeth Bowen
7. Testament of Friendship by Vera Brittain
6. Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte

Significantly Unenthused

5. The Monk by Matthew Lewis
4. Death in Venice by Thomas Mann
3. Beloved by Toni Morrison
2. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
1. A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen

The lucky winner will be announced tomorrow (Monday) so thankfully I don't have long to wait. The suspense usually kills me a little. If you're participating, good luck! 



SHARE:

3 comments

  1. Finally! :) This is probably the fifth time I say that but The Grapes of Wrath is such a good read. Well, it's also a tough read... I should actually re-read it. I'd be unenthusiastic about The Doll's House as well, if it had made my spin list! No idea why, it just feels like it might be difficult and depressing read. Let's hope for number from 6 to 20, then :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen the number? I don't think you're going to be very enthused :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you're reading! And I think you'll like it, so don't be tooooo unenthused. :)

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig