Friday 18 October 2013

Review: Bellman and Black

Bellman and Black
Diane Setterfield
2013


'Rooks are made of thought and memory. They know everything and they do not forget.'

Ok, so I think everyone and their dog has read or at least heard good things about Diane Setterfield's debut, The Thirteenth Tale. It was a twisty and chilling book about books that I completely adored (and I'm more than a little excited for the adaptation). Because of that earlier experience I was ridonkulously excited to receive a copy of this to review from NetGalley. Seriously, a squeal escaped these lips. But oh Diane, really Diane, this is your follow up? It actually pains me to say it but I did not enjoy this book *shakes head despondently*.  


As a child William Bellman takes a pop at a rook and catches it right on target, killing it instantly. Being young, naive and innocent, William does not even consider how his actions could have repercussions for the rest of his life. As a young man he lives a charmed life until a series of tragedies and the appearance of a mysterious man in black. It is in the wake of this appearance that the business 'Bellman and Black' is created. 


This book is pegged as a ghost story. This is my first problem with it - though there are a ton of deaths (seriously, not sure many people survive this novel), the tension needed to make it truly a ghost story is never quite there. And if someone could point out the climax for me, that would be wonderful because I think I completely missed it. The prologue sets the story up so well, particularly the omnipresence of the rooks, but unfortunately what came after just missed the mark.


Having said that, the writing in this novel is completely mind-blowingly awesome at points. This alone makes up for the lack of tension and uninteresting plot. I loved how there seemed to be two voices - the narrator of Bellman's story and this other separate and objective voice commenting on the history and language of the rooks. Whether intended or not, I thought this was successful. Plus, I found all the little knowledge tidbits about rooks really interesting. I can't say I knew that much about the birds (not much of a surprise) but I did enjoy learning about the various collective nouns and superstitions. Thanks for the lesson, Diane.


Basically, Bellman and Black was a let down. But I will not be put off because the writing alone made it an enjoyable reading experience. I look forward to whatever Diane Setterfield comes up with next. I just hope it's a little more exciting. 



'There are numerous collective nouns for rooks. In some parts people say a storytelling of rooks.'


I received my copy of Bellman and Black from the publisher via NetGalley.
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I finished Bellman and Black recently and felt the same way, it was beautifully written but I was left waiting for something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting for something is an excellent way to put it. There was just something there that didn't quite reach its potential.

      Delete
  2. I really would like to try The Thirteenth Tale though there have been mixed reviews but it gives me hope that you really liked it. Too bad that this one was lacking, though I personally take a good writing-poorish contents over the vice versa any day. It's best to have books with good balance of everything, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Thirteenth Tale really is good, I certainly loved that. Balance would be good but it was definitely the writing that made me not give up with this one.

      Delete
  3. I have this on the TBR pile, I've had The Thirteenth Tale on my wishlist for years. I hope this one doesn't put me off :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be put off! The Thirteenth Tale is far better than this but this one does give you a good taste of her writing style.

      Delete
  4. I keep hearing the same thing about this book. Hmmm...sounds like one I don't need to rush to get to ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are too many other books to read so, no, I wouldn't rush to this one :)

      Delete
  5. I unfortunately cannot point out the climax for you, because I also missed it... it just wasn't there. I hope that if she writes a third book, that I will enjoy it more. I liked the writing, but the halfway through the book I became a little bored. I kept waiting for the suspense! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the elusive climax. I'm hoping if she writes a third it will have all the best bits of this one and her first. With any luck, anyway!

      Delete
  6. I have about 50 pages left to read, but you summed it up quite well. Beautifully written, but kinda boring. Maybe if it wasn't subtitled, A Ghost Story, I would have been more interested in the story, but I kept waiting for the haunting and scary, or even some creepy stuff to happen. The reappearance of, and interesting information on rooks does not a ghost story make. I will read her next book, as I enjoyed Thirteenth Tale, and she does write wonderfully, but this one missed the mark for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that unless you are really really certain that your book is going to thrill and potential freak out your readers, don't bother labelling it as a ghost story. It creates far too many expectations! It is a shame because it seems that most people really enjoyed her first and love the writing in this one. I'm pleased that the poor story hasn't put us all off her future releases.

      Delete
  7. I'm seeing this one panned everywhere. And I had such high hopes! Here's hoping that her writing style is enough to keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm definitely with you on looking forward to books from her in the future -- while this one was definitely not all I was hoping it would be, I am still optimistic for whatever she might write next -- The Thirteenth Tale has enough of a pull on me to hope for that!

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig