Saturday 26 October 2013

A couple of cheeky purchases

Just a quickie today to share a couple of new buys I made this week. I went over to Spitalfields market on Wednesday and they had two of THE most amazing book stalls selling cheap, beautiful, nerd-enticing books. I was restrained, as you can see from the photo.



The Diary of Samuel Pepys - I remember reading bits of this during history lessons at school and ever since I have wanted to read it in its entirety. Now I can! I love that it is small, fabric bound and red. Beautiful.


The Moon and Sixpence by W Somerset Maugham - this is on my Classics Club list and I just couldn't not buy this penguin edition.


From the final three you can clearly see that I harbour a secret love of the green Virago Modern Classics. I love Virago - for it's name and for the books it publishes.


The Sleeping Beauty by Elizabeth Taylor - I've never read anything by ET but I have heard she is wonderful so I think it's time to give her a go.


Mary Olivier: A Life by May Sinclair - I adore May Sinclair and I have read or own a fair number of her works. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one compares.


The Ante-Room by Kate O'Brien - I may be making a huge faux pas here but I have never heard of Kate O'Brien. I didn't think I could walk away without buying this though as she clearly is a figure of some importance - this one stall had about three of her novels. It has an interesting premise so I am interested to see what O'Brien has to offer.


Let me know if you've read any of these - I'd love to know what I'm getting myself in to.


SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I love those old Penguin editions! Enjoy your purchases :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm risking the wrath of literary gods admitting I haven't ready any of those authors. I have heard good things about Virago series, though, and hope you enjoy the books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have read any of them but I love the look of The Diary of Samuel Pepys. I haven't seen a cover like that for years.

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    P.s I am your newest follower

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig