Wednesday 23 October 2013

A new challenge (that isn't really a challenge)...

You may notice I have a new tab at the top of the page called 'War Novels'. This page does exactly what it says on the tin -  it lists all the war novels I either want to read or re-read. I think everyone knows by now that I have a tendency to get a little too excited when it comes to war writing. Yet having said that my knowledge is very one sided having focused so much on the female side of things. So I decided it was about time I actually conquered the books/plays/poetry I have not yet read. 

But I need your help! This list is a work in progress and mostly focuses on WW1 and, even though it is my jam, I definitely need to broaden my horizons. That means I need recommendations to add to the list and I would be very grateful for any you could throw my way.

Have you read any good war books recently? Discovered any poets? Read or seen any plays? Seriously guys, shower me with your recommendations!

SHARE:

3 comments

  1. Hmm. I don't try to read war novels, but somehow they end up finding me. Off the top of my head from the books I've read lately: The Illusion of Separateness by Simon Van Booy, The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes, Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. Sorry, nothing classic here for a while. The contemporary ones have been the ones landing in my lap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the Van Booy book around a fair bit recently - I'll add it to the list. There are a lot of contemporary war books around at the moment. I do love them because they add a different perspective. Thanks for the recommendations!

      Delete
  2. No way Ellie - I've thought of setting up a similar list for myself. My favourite Remarque book must be Three Comrades (calvados!), not sure if you've read this one. (I was in some Remarque kick back in the teenage years, I read like a little pile of his works.) I think Gone With the Wind also classifies as a war novel, I know I should re-read this one to get a more adequate opinion of the book.

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig