Sunday 20 October 2013

A Tale of Two Cities Readalong

What better way to follow a month of Wilkie than with a month of Dickens? Wilkie and Charles were ever such good chums and even collaborated on several amazing projects so to me it makes perfect sense to follow The Moonstone with A Tale of Two Cities. I would like to therefore thank Bex at An Armchair by the Sea for facilitating this with her December readalong of A Tale of Two Cities

Before reading Great Expectations at uni I was a Dickens hater. For no apparent reason I took it upon myself to never read anything by him because (I quote my own opinion here) 'he uses far too many words when one will do the trick just as well'. Suffice to say, I'm over that now. Joe Gargery forced me out of my grumpy ways and into the intricate and mind blowing world of Dickens's prose. Thanks, Joe. Anyway, since being shown the error of my ways I have barely dipped my toe into the waters of Dickens's work. I've read David Copperfield (loved) and Edwin Drood (loved) and attempted to read Oliver Twist (got bored half way through) but I'm determined to tackle more. I'm thoroughly looking forward to getting stuck into A Tale of Two Cities with Bex and everyone else joining in with the readalong.

Who else is going to read some Dickens in December?

 
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. What a great book! Argh, I wish I was better at readalongs because I would do this one in a heartbeat. Enjoy enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you! I'm very excited to get stuck in.

      Delete
  2. I reread A Tale of Two Cities recently - it is my favourite Dickens, and not as long as many of his others. So I shan't be joining in the readalong, but I think it is time for another Dickens book in the near future. Once I've got my to-read piles going down rather than up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that it is quite short and that I'd read a few very favourable reviews recently certainly swayed my decision. I hope you get a handle on your to read pile...I think I've just given up and accepted it will always be out of control. :)

      Delete
  3. Yay! I'm glad you've signed up :-) and thanks for blogging about it, I'm hopeful that it won't be too strenuous as it's not that long a book...I usually have a hard time getting into Dickens, but I have my fingers crossed for this one, mostly because my copy is in a book along with A Christmas Carol, which is the only one I've read so far that I found really easy reading. I know that's a totally scientific and reasonable reason to expect it to be good, but there we go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm really excited for it. I only read a Dickens earlier this year but I'm definitely feeling like the time is right to get cracking with another. Of course that is totally scientific and reasonable...I understand your thought process there entirely :D

      Delete
  4. I was a Dickens hater too and sadly Great Expectations did nothing for me. Nothing! But A Tale of Two Cities completely changed my mind, it's such a perfect, heart-breaking book. I can't wait to read all of your posts about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm shocked that Great Expectations did nothing for you! But if A Tale of Two Cities made you like Dickens then I'm sure I'm going to love it.

      Delete
  5. I tried A Tale of Two Cities a little while back and I am not in the right mindset for it now, otherwise I'd take part too. I am planning to read Christmas Carol by Dickens in December though - never read it before :) Hopefully y'all will have an awesome readalong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems terribly fitting to read a Christmas Carol in December. If I enjoy this one I may end up reading both. I hope you enjoy your month of Dickens too :)

      Delete
  6. OMG! You're killing me. I've wanted to re-read this one for ages. GAH! I think I'm in!

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig