Thursday 31 December 2015

2015 || Top 10 Non-Fiction Reads



Dead Wake by Erik Larson
I know a handful of people now who've either read or gifted this on my recommendation. It's a fascinating book, perfectly written, and hugely compelling. I'd really recommend it.

Edith Cavell by Diana Souhami
Cavell has always been one of my idols, but it was only this year that I decided to find out more about her. She was a fascinating woman and my reading was topped off with a visit to the prison in Brussels where she was kept before her execution.



The Dead Duke, His Secret Wife and the Missing Corpse by Piu Marie Eatwell
A slightly off the wall book, but absolutely brilliant.

Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig
No non-fiction list from this year would be complete without Haig's memoir on life and depression.


Shell-Shocked Britain by Suzie Grogan
I adored this study of shell-shock and it's impact on post-war mental health treatments.

Late Fragments by Kate Gross
Although this memoir was published shortly before Gross's death, it is surprisingly uplifting. I found myself adjusting my perspective on life as I read it and I would really recommend this heartwarming book.



Worrying by Frances O'Gormon
A fascinating cultural history of worrying.

The Examined Life by Stephen Grosz
I really loved how very human this book was and how much there was to take away from it.



Executed at Dawn by David Johnson
Although this was a slightly frustrating read (it's hard to read about our own army killing its soldiers without getting mad), it was really interesting and I feel like I can actually have an opinion on the subject now I know more about it.

Wild by Cheryl Strayed
This was my first audiobook from Audible and I listened to it over a month or so on my occasional walk home through London. Although I hated Strayed at times, Wild has stuck with me and I'm sure I'll be reading/listening to her other works.

2015 was the year I really found my feet with non-fiction and I'm really looking forward to what I can learn in 2016. Any recommendations would be great!

Have you read any of these? Do you have a favourite non-fiction book from this year?


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig