Wednesday 29 July 2015

5 Ways to Kickstart your Positive Mindset



1// Smile In his TED talk, Ron Gutman tells us that smiling can make us live longer, look better, and feel better. I don't know about you, but I can definitely see the truth in that because whenever I smile it instantly makes me feel more positive. It's also a great way to share the positivity - you may end up brightening someone's day just by giving them a smile on the tube, on the street or even in a lift. Go on try it, I dare you.

2// Find your enthusiasm having a hobby or pastime that you feel enthusiastic about can be a great way of finding some positivity, even if it's only in one small aspect of your life. Once you've grasped it, it can be the easiest thing to roll out to all the corners of your life. As you may have guessed, reading is my main enthusiasm. Whether I'm reading a book or reading about books, watching booktube videos or listening to a bookish podcast, I know that my enthusiasm for books will always let me find the positive in my day.

3// Take a minute to switch your thinking when I find myself stuck in cycle of negative thoughts, I try to really slow it down and put a different spin on them. It's the hardest thing to do, but it can make such a difference. From the everyday things to those more underlying deep seated thoughts, there is always a way you can flip the thought from negative to positive. Take my daily commute as an example. Whenever I hear that there's a delay on my tube line my initial reaction is one of annoyance and is generally accompanied by a heavy sigh. If I think about it in a different way however, it occurs to me that a five minute delay, when I'm already on the tube and I have a seat, purely means another five minutes of reading. Bonus!

Not all thoughts are as easy to transform as that, but start small and you'll soon see little changes and be able to work towards bigger goals.

4// Say something nice giving a compliment to a friend, family member, or even a complete stranger feels good. You will undoubtedly brighten someone's day and spread a little good cheer.

5// Write a list, any list I write my weekly 'Things That Made Me Happy' list because it means that I pay better attention to the good, regardless of how inconsequential it felt at the time, rather than letting one bad thing cast a shadow over the entire week. Once I've thought of one thing, the rest just seem to come tumbling out and even the process of writing it down can make me feel better. Whether you join in on a Sunday with my link-up or have a notebook ready and waiting to hold multiple lists, just get started. Think about what reasons you have to smile, things you're looking forward to, your favourite books or movies, things you want to do this summer, or a list of your fail-safe happy things (you know, those things that always make you happy, no matter what).

I know I said I've got five ways to kickstart your positivity, but I actually have a bonus one for you.

6// Be you wear what makes you feel good, do what makes you feel alive, be friends with people who make you the best you can be. Live on your terms and search out your own way forward. As long as you continue to 'be you', those good feelings (warm fuzzies, as I call them) will all come from within.

Let me know how you kickstart or maintain a positive mindset!

twitter | facebook | pinterest | instagram
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig