Tuesday 17 June 2014

Summer Reading

It's about that time of year when I'm thinking about the books I'd like to read over the summer and particularly what to take on holiday. There are a few books I've been saving up as summer reads, mostly on my kindle, and here are the top ten on my TBR pile.




1. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

This one has featured in many a TBR list this year but I'm feeling pretty good about finally getting to it this summer. Last summer I made Anna Karenina a mini summer project so I think I'll do the same with this one.

2. The Silver Dark Sea by Susan Fletcher

I have adored every one of Fletcher's novels (her writing is so lyrical and beautiful), and this one I bought after Christmas in the kindle sale to save for the summer. The time has come.

3. Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann

This has been on the mental TBR for yonks and on the physical TBR for too long. Time for some feminism!

4. Inconvenient People by Sarah Wise

Victorians and madness - two of my favourite things. This non-fiction book promises lots of potential Wilkie links.

5. The Moon and Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham

As I've been meaning to read another Maugham since reading The Painted Veil about 3/4 years ago, I think this summer could be the right time to finally make good on that.

6. How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran

Caitlin Moran releases a novel? Ah-mazing. Bring on even more feminism!

7. The Museum of Extrordinary Things by Alice Hoffman

My Mum and I have slowly been making our way through Hoffman's back catalogue (usually picking up whichever one we find in the local Oxfam) so we were both excited to hear she had a new novel out.

8. And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseni

I was given this for Christmas and it's still on shelf. Shame on me.

9. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

My sister has just zoomed through this and loved it so it's looking like a must-read for me.

10. Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon

Another one from the ever-expanding TBR. I missed the readalong for this one but adored everyone's posts so I'm planning this as a summer classic.

Having said that they're from my kindle, actually only one from this list is...oops. I guess that kindle TBR won't be getting smaller this year. There's always next year.


Hosted by The Broke and Bookish
What's the top book on your Summer TBR list?

SHARE:

11 comments

  1. I am so excited for Caitlin Moran's new novel! I loved How to Be A Woman and am pretty sure I will read anything she writes. I really wish I could find Moranthology on audio, since How to Be a Woman was so fantastic when she narrated the audio. I may need to order the actual CDs though because I've had no luck with my library or Audible :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked The Rosie Project--it's a great pick for a summer read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like Alice Hoffman... She's WEIRD! I read Practical Magic a while back (pre-Blog) and loved it - even more than the film. I've been promising myself for some time to read everything else she's done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a period where I read lots of Alice Hoffman, but I just haven't read any of her books lately. Crime and Punishment is amazing, but it took me two tries to finish it. The same thing happened to me with Moby Dick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're in for a treat with And the Mountains Echoed... Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so Valley of the Dolls sounds awesome. I soooo want to try Moran's novel. I really want to read more Hoffman, though she's hit or miss with me. And The Rosie Project was SO MUCH FUN and I hope you love it.

    Phew. Too many good books :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yessssssssss Caitlin!!!! So excited. And I remember reading Valley of the Dolls and finding it RIDIC when I was about 14 or something, so it's probably amazing and I've just forgotten. As is the way of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only heard about Valley of the Dolls quite recently, and now I'm really curious about it, so I look forward to seeing what you have to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that I really need to get to Crime and Punishment one of these days but my WORD is that an intimidating book! I think I need to get a new edition, actually, because mine's one of those that has teeny tiny print and quite wispy pages and Russian literature is scary enough without rubbish editions.

    I had no idea Caitlin Moran had written a novel so that's a win and something to snaffle soon!

    I also still have And the Mountains Echoed to read...*shame face* Aaaaand Inconvenient People sounds terrific. Winning list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I picked up a stack of Hoffman's books from my library book sale a few weeks ago. The Museum of Extraordinary Things wasn't my favorite of hers, but I am excited to read through the rest of her backlist!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of the new Alice Hoffman. I haven't read her for a while, but The Ice Queen remains one of my all-time favourite bookish surprises. One of those where you think, "Yeah, okay, I'll try it..." and then come out of a book daze 24 hours later, having barely moved in hours. I LOVE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS. All I really know about this new one is that it's been compared to The Night Circus, and that the cover's so frickin' lovely that I had to stroke it in Waterstones.

    Some of your other choices are also on my TBR and wishlist, so I'll be waiting to see what should be boosted up to the top!

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig