Monday 30 June 2014

June in Books

Exploring East London
June is always a busy month for me as there are birthdays and anniversaries galore. Almost one a week it feels like sometimes. Even with all that, I've found plenty of time for reading and managed to get through 8 books (breaking the 7 books a month habit I was forming). Not bad, not bad at all.

The Books:

35. The Rector's Daughter by F.M Mayor
36. Elsie and Mairi Go to War by Diane Atkinson
37. The Heroes' Welcome by Louisa Young
38. Love and Treasure by Ayelet Waldman
39. The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
40. The Stranger by Albert Camus
41. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
42. Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter

Book of the month: The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton



The goals...
  • Enjoy the Classics Club month of WW1 literature
  • Read Nights at the Circus for Angela Carter week
  • Have a smashing month full of smashing things

Well, will you look at that! A very healthy goals list all nicely crossed out. It's been another top-notch month of reading and I've managed to cross off a broad selection of books from various lists and challenges (Classics Club, TBR Pile Challenge, Angela Carter week). I'm still not entirely sure what was going on in The Stranger or The Scarlet Letter (seriously, that narrator needs to not be so wordy), but I feel like I've achieved something by reading both. The Miniaturist though...WOW, there will be a review coming soon.

I thoroughly participated in the Classics Club June theme and shared why I read war literature and my recommendations for slightly less intimidating Modernist works. It was really motivating to focus my reading for at least part of the month on one topic so I will be joining in on other months this year. I didn't quite get to Goodbye To All That but I did read a good selection of war poems, attended an event about the war poets (at the stunning new Foyles flagship) and read a non-fiction book about Elsie Knocker and Mairi Chisholm. Successful? I think so.


How was June for you? Do you have a book of the month?


SHARE:

7 comments

  1. June was a little sucky for me. I read good books, but only THREE BOOKS. Which is dreadful in number. Congrats on an awesome month, though, and I hope you keep it rolling into July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quality over quantity they always say! Whoever 'they' are... :D

      Delete
  2. My Book of the Month was: On The Spartacus Road – A Spectacular Journey Through Ancient Italy by Peter Stothard.

    Think I managed my normal 6-7 this month. Finished one on Saturday and another yesterday which wasn't bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good month for you too, then! Your book of the month sounds interesting.

      Delete
    2. As an Ancient History fan I think you'd really enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. It's always nice to see a list crossed out, isn't it. June was slow for me, just as May - I have noticed I read tops 4 books a month when it's summertime. They were good books though, the shiny star was number9dream by the fantastic David Mitchell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so satisfying to cross things off any list! I still need to try something by David Mitchell...it's starting to become a crime that I've never tackled him.

      Delete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig