Saturday 22 November 2014

Reading Wish List

Over the last few months there have been a number of new releases I've been thoroughly intrigued by.  These five top the list:

- The Paying Guests by Sarah Walters
- The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan
- The American Lover by Rose Tremain
- Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz
- Christmas Truce: The Western Front December 1914 by Malcolm Brown and Shirley Seaton

In my frequent bookshop jaunts I think I gravitate most often to these five. I'm a serial picker-uper. By which I of course mean that I walk around picking books up, give them a quick grope, maybe a cheeky sniff (I can never resist that new book smell), and then put them back. The above selection have been violated in this way more times than I should probably admit.

On a less violating note - I've been meaning to ask you all for some recommendations. I'm in the mood for some essay collections of the same ilk as Patchett's This is the Story of a Happy Marriage. Bookish would be nice, but so would more general life essays. I've been eying up the Keegan book for that very reason, but I'm always open to other suggestions. I've heard Joan Didion is a notable essayist and Nora Ephron - any thoughts??

How about you, what's on the top of your wish list?

SHARE:

7 comments

  1. I was a bit disappointed with The Paying Guests - dragged on for too long. Didn't know Rose Tremain had a new one so will be looking out for that.


    Recently I really enjoyed Anne Fadiman's essays - Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to pick up The Paying Guests too, but have several of her other books sitting neglected on my shelves :( I keep telling myself I need to read those first and by the time I do, the new chunkster may be out in paperback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just going to say Ann Fadiman! She also has at least one or two other essay collections besides Ex Libris, including an eclectic one called 'At Large and At Small' which manages to cover everything from lepidoptery to ice cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a good plan! The only thing stopping me buying it now is the fact it is still in hardback.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a shame - it is quite long and she does have a tendency to write long books. Sometimes I wonder if authors just like writing that little bit too much :)


    Oh yes, I've heard of Fadiman before but not really known anything about her. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At Large and At Small sounds widely fascinating - I'll add it to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed The Paying Guests, but not as much as some of her other books, because one of the characters really annoyed me, and I thought it had a bit of a gloomy feel to it. Still, it was a page-turner, beautifully written, one of those books you don't want to leave behind. And it ended up influencing my dreams which is the sign of a gripping book, I think.

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig