Thursday 12 September 2013

Hi there, (mid) September!

It's mid September already? Seriously, I blink and time has moved on a few days. SLOW DOWN, TIME! I know I say this every month but, again, another month has been and gone without so much as a warning. August was busy, as usual. I'm feeling completely settled in London now which is awesome and completely settled in my job which is even more awesome. August had some serious ups and downs (too many downs for my taste) but London is a wonderful distraction. I've been to new restaurants, the theatre, and museums. I have made some new traditions (involving the library and falafel. Yeh, you heard me.), and made some new friends. I miss Somerset occasionally...my pooch, my parents and the open spaces, at least, but I'm in no rush to go back. Sounds a bit mean actually but I've got everything I need right here.

August was another good month for reading, mostly because of Bout of Books 8.0 and Austen in August. Both events were amazingly literary and came at the perfect time. I read 7 books in August taking my year to date total up to 55. Not bad, not bad at all. Here is what I read:


49. Lamb by Bonnie Nadzam
50. Ransom by David Malouf
51. The Wild Girl by Kate Forsyth
52. The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence
53. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
54. Emma by Jane Austen
55. Fifty Shades of Feminism (anthology)


Not a single one was a let down. In fact, each one was completely wonderful and I know that if I re-read my reviews they'd all be gushing.


Obviously I bought some books. Here is a bit of a selection from the South Bank Book Market and a discount bookstore near Waterloo station. Two non-fiction and three very exciting novels. The Lighthouse Stevensons was a bought on a bit of a whim but I think it could be one of the most interesting reads. It's a non-fiction book about Robert Louis Stevenson's family and their construction of lighthouses. I read Jeanette Winterson's Lighthousekeeping this year and there is a lot in there about Stevenson and lighthouses so I just couldn't resist finding out more. And you know how much I love lighthouses!

I have no reading plans for September apart from to read lots and enjoy reading. Doing pretty well on that so far...


I hope everyone had a great August and is having a great September so far!



Another amazing sunset from my balcony.


I went here for a press night (awesome).

There was lots of this in August.

SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Heyy I just read that chapter on the last photo today :) (It was a great chapter!)
    So glad you are settling in and enjoying the London life. And awesome reading done, as well. I'm really enjoying Alex Woods.
    Have a great autumn, Ellie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd actually love September to hurry up because I need pay day to arrive! :P
    Glad you are enjoying living in London and not missing home too much. There's always so much to do in London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TRIFFIDS! VALLEY OF THE DOLLS! Most excellent... I need to come visit London again soon, I think - I haven't been in about ten years, since my stepdad and I hit a couple of exhibitions waaaaaay back. Gawd, that's a long time. Anyway, here's to some more great reading and Fun Times before the end of September. THIS YEAR IS FLYING BY SO FAAAAAST! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, that mug cracks me up. September is going by horrendously fast, I don't like that AT ALL. I'm glad you're settling in and enjoying London!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely sunset, there have been some beautiful ones here too recently, stunning colours. Glad you got to go to the Globe!

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig