Tuesday 8 March 2016

Celebrating Women Writers



In honour of International Women's Day I thought it would be nice to share a list of my favourite female authors and which of their works I love the most. I've included authors that longtime readers of this blog will already know I adore and a few others that I don't often get the chance to speak effusively about (which I'm still not doing here, but might do in the future).

Aside from the odd foray into the Russian literary greats and my enduring love of Wilkie, for the majority I read books written by women. That's not through any particularly conscious choice because I do not let gender determine my reading habits, it's just how it's turned out. All of my favourite authors, the one's whose books I will always read, are women (except Wilkie, who is forever the odd one out).

Looking through this list I can see some common features among the novels that these authors write. Many of them have or do focus on war, and most of them are very 'person' based. I'm not really sure how to explain that, but Gardam, Dunmore, Atkinson, Vickers and Barker as examples all very much focus on people and how circumstances and situations have an impact on people. Perhaps that's the thing that grabs me, perhaps it's the intuitive and insightful exploration of real lives that draws me to these particular female writers.

Virginia Woolf
Read: To the Lighthouse

Rebecca West
Read: The Return of the Soldier

Meg Cabot
Read: The Princess Diaries

Jane Gardam
Read: The Queen of the Tambourine

Daphne du Maurier
Read: Rebecca

Dorothy L. Sayers
Read: The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club

Helen Dunmore
Read: The Lie

Kate Atkinson
Read: Behind the Scenes at the Museum

Salley Vickers
Read: Mr Golightly's Holiday

Alison Moore
Read: The Lighthouse

George Eliot
Read: Middlemarch

Tracey Chevalier
Read: Falling Angels

Jacqueline Wilson
Read: Bad Girls

Pat Barker
Read: Regeneration

This list is, in my opinion, the creme de la creme of women writers, but I'd love to hear who your favourites are - let me know in the comments and I'll add them to my 'to read' list!

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Haaaaave you read any Rainbow Rowell? She's totally important to my life and I love her most desperately!

    I'm so glad you say Behind the Scenes at the Museum is good, I just got it from this station book sale thing and felt bad because I'm not sposed to get new books. But it's good so yay! Haha

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig