Monday 3 March 2014

March Reading

Currently at my bedside
March is well under way now and, so far, I've been to one museum (Tower of London) and one art gallery (National Portrait Gallery). London is practically a cornucopia for museum lovers such as myself! With all that museum visiting, I failed to pick up my book at all this weekend but I'm hoping to finish No Name this week so I can get cracking with my March reading plans.

In the Classics Club 'Twelve Months of Classic Literature', March is feminist literature. I've got a couple of books picked out for this: Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, The Awakening by Kate Chopin and A Vindication on the Rights of Women by Mary Wollstonecraft. I'm really looking forward to getting my teeth into these, particularly Herland as I loved The Yellow Wallpaper. I also have a whole host of Virago and Persephone books on my shelves that would suit if I feel the need for more feminist lit (it's likely, I do love the laydeez). 


March is actually going to be a month of finishing books that have been hanging about my bedside for far too long. Fighting on the Home Front has been there since before Christmas (started, got half way and then was distracted by various shiny books), and Careless People has been there since January (again, about a quarter through but the distractions are too great). I've been reading a short story from May Sinclair's Uncanny Stories every so often but I'd like to polish those of this month too for the TBR Pile Challenge. My final book to finish is No Man's Land, a chunky (and brilliant) anthology of WW1 writings. 


One book I've been dying to read (I think since Riv's review) is Dracula. I have not read it before but it is one of those 'must read' cult classics I've always meant to get around to. I treated myself to this Penguin English Library edition a couple of weeks ago and I think I'll dive into it this month.


I think that's probably enough to be getting on with but no doubt distractions will happen and I'll end up winging it (the joy of reading, surely?!).


Do you have any reading plans for March? Will you be reading feminist literature with the Classics Club?


SHARE:

15 comments

  1. I'm always curious to see how other people like Dracula -- I wanted to like it so much more than I did, but I just couldn't muster up the enthusiasm :/ I know I'm in a minority on that one, but that's OK, I'm sure there are other classics out there that suit me better! Good luck with your March reading plans :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really interested to see how I respond to it knowing how well liked it is. I'll let you know if I'm more on your side! Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Yay, Dracula! I first read Dracula when I was about 15 and it takes full credit as the book that got me into reading classics for fun. Since then I've read it another three or four times, and even though it has it's flaws, it will always be one of my favourites :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a big achievement for Dracula and bodes very well for my reading experience!

      Delete
  3. I think there's a great chance that you'd enjoy Dracula, Ellie. In any case I am curious about your thoughts.

    March will also be month of finishing books in process for me too - kinda like spring cleaning :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring cleaning is the perfect way to put it! Time to start afresh :)

      Delete
  4. I'll be reading The Awakening, too--we'll have to compare notes! :) I read the Wollstonecraft years ago and LOVED it. That one is definitely worth a re-read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we will have to compare! I'm looking forward to both.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed Dracula. I think it's often not what people expect it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready for it to destroy my expectations, that's for sure.

      Delete
  6. I was very disappointed with 'Dracula' which I thought was slow and hugely anti-climactic. I enjoyed 'Frankenstein' much more.

    'Vindication....' is on my To Read List.

    My next Classic is '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' by Jules Verne, which I should be starting by early next week after I finish my present non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Frankenstein at school but would like to give it another go because I definitely think I focused more on Kenneth Brannagh in the film than on the story...

      I used to love Jules Verne! It's been ages since I read anything by him...I look forward to your thoughts :)

      Delete
  7. I have The Second Sex on my classics club list and am hoping to get to it this month as it is on theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read sections of The Second Sex at uni, though I do have the whole book now. I hope you enjoy it, she does have some fascinating ideas.

      Delete
  8. For some reason, even though I love The Yellow Wallpaper, I have never ever thought to look into Charlotte Perkins Gilman's other writing. Now I feel like my life has been one continuous mistake haha. I hope Herland is good! I'm going to look into it.

    ReplyDelete

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig