Thursday 27 December 2012

12 Most memorable books of 2012

I don't know how many books I have read this year as I don't tend to keep count. I would assume the numbers would be pretty high considering I was reading two a week for my course and then a crazy amount for my dissertation. Only one book I read for my MA has made it into this list (William, An Englishman) because I always find I enjoy books less when I am told to read them. What a poor attempt at rebellion! Anyway, on to my favourites, in no particular order...


Resistance - Owen Sheers
The premise of this book is mind-boggling and so very interesting. I don't think I have ever thought so much about my own opinions of war. It is also beautifully written, as you would expect from a poet. I will be rereading this in the not too distant future.


A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness
Wow. Actual sobbing occurred as I was reading this. So simple, yet so haunting. I have the standard novel edition but I think I may splash out on the illustrated edition now.

The Collector - John Fowles

Disturbing and chilling but ever so good.

My Dear, I Wanted to Tell You - Louisa Young

This novel introduced me to another side of the First World War, that of facial reconstruction. Very informative and an enticing storyline. After reading this I then moved on to Pat Barker's Toby's Room which explores the same ideas. I love Barker's writing but out of the two I prefer Young's treatment of the issue.


William, An Englishman - Cicely Hamilton
A brilliant look at the effects of war on the 'Everyman'. Harrowing at times, but unforgettable and definitely worth while.

Painter of Silence - Georgina Harding

If you want to be able to imagine what it would be like to be blind/deaf then read this. I will never take my sight for granted again.

The Song of Achilles - Madeline Miller

I am pretty much obsessed with anything Ancient Greek/Trojan War related so this new release very quickly made its way on to my kindle. Wonderfully written with all the recognisable characters but with a slight twist to the tale.


The Lifeboat - Charlotte Rogan
Amazingly written. One of those plots that make you think 'what would I do in that situation?'

The White Lie - Andrea Gillies


This is one of those novels that is completely full of twists and turns. I read it on holiday and was absorbed into the story non-stop for an entire day.

The Rescue Man - Anthony Quinn 

I discovered Anthony Quinn this year when I read Half of the Human Race which is, incidentally, another favourite. I love how he creates such well-rounded and detailed characters. The Rescue Man beats Half of the Human Race just because of the subject (WWII blitz rescue).

The Etymologicon - Mark Forsyth

Never laughed so much at a book. I kept it hidden on my lap under the desk at work so I could keep reading it.

Howards End is on the Landing - Susan Hill

I love reading about reading and this gets the balance just right between discussing books and discussing life. My TBR list grew significantly as a result of this book.

I have read so many wonderful books this year, these being just a selection. Have you read any of these? Are there any books you have really loved this year?


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lit Nerd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig